1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point of HDCP?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by LcdGuru, Apr 24, 2005.

1. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering what's the point of HDCP?

It prevents me from accessing the un-encrypted hi-def digital data. But if I could access it, what would I do with it?

I'm not aware of any 'capture cards' for DVI signals. Surely pirates are more likely to copy the encoded data - eg. by taking an exact copy of the disk surface??

Alternatively they could hot-wire an HDCP display to gain access to the raw data (it must be accessible at some point within the display).

I honestly can't see how HDCP will hinder piracy atall. But it's definately a major PITA for the general public who might have purchased non-HDCP displays. :thumbsdow

2. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    No HDCP would surely allow our American friends to make perect digital copies of 1080i films with a DVHS Recorder ?

3. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a D-VHS machine with DVI input? I could only find 1394 inputs?

Even if you could record DVI - it's won't be a perfect copy since the data has been uncompressed by the player, then recompressed by the recorder. So there will be some degredation - much like existing analogue copies.

I imagine professional pirates would be more interested in copying the orignal compressed data stream.

My point is - HDCP won't cause the pirates any problems, but it will cause problems for the general public.

4. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    If there wasnt any HDCP then companies like Sky wouldnt insist on HDMI or DVI Outputs only i.e. like the current US HDTV Market. DVHS owners over there are recording HD Films like its going out of fashion !

As an aside I did read on the AVSForums today that HDCP has already been cracked. Dont know if its true however ?