• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What's the point of Chromecast Audio in a HiFi/AV system?

DECKARD71

Hello

I have connected a Chromecast 2 to my AV Receiver via HDMI. This way I understand that DAC used in the chain is the one from my AVR

I would like to try Chromecast Audio (CCA) since it has been developed for music enthusiasts... and here there are two scenarios:

1. Connect CCA to receiver using analog cable. This way, the DAC used will be the one in the CCA.

Can the DAC of the CCA (AKM AK4430) be better than my receiver's? (Yamaha Rx-v2067 with DACs Burr-Brown DSD1796 DAC). I doubt it. And it is not only the DAC, also the analog electronics that follow the DAC I guess will be better in any AVR than in the tiny Chromecast

2. Connect CCA to receiver using the toslink output. This way, the DAC used will be the one in the AVR.

This will sound exactly as if I were using a Chromecast 2. Is this correct?

So... what's the point of Chromecast Audio vs Chromecast 2?

mike7

Distinguished Member
You can make adjustments to the sound on a Chromecast Audio that are not possible on a CC2. You also have the ability to connect using the alternative optical output.
The DAC used in the Chromecast Audio is identical to one used in a much more expensive Apple device.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom