1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point of buying an HD recorder?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Nick Gillies, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Nick Gillies

Nick Gillies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky and the BBC have announced that they will put copy-protection on films, sporting events and 'entertainment', meaning an end to archiving your own collection. I'm sorry about this for two reasons.

One is that I have on video and DVD-R a library of films and TV programmes like my library of second-hand books, and for the same price. Obviously I've bought new books and films where they are important to me. But I couldn't have read or viewed so deeply if I'd had to buy them all new.

The second reason is that if you have to buy you are dependent on other people's commercial judgement of what will sell. But we all have different tastes. At one end this means I could never have bought one of Tom Stoppard's best TV plays, 'Squaring the Circle', because it is about politics, and politics doesn't sell. At the other, I won't be able to record any equivalent of the wonderfully silly German game show 'Tutti Frutti', and couldn't buy it, because it has disappeared into some copyright black hole. Nor is anyone going to sell obscure old British films like 'A Pair of Briefs' or 'Futtocks End', and if they did, how many could I afford to buy?

The makers of recorders are going to find very few buyers unless they come to some sort of deal with the copyright holders.

This is the first time I have written to the AV Forum. If this is in the wrong group, or has been dealt with before, I apologize.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    unfortunately thats business. Hollywood studios won't allow them to broadcast HD unless they are protected, so they won't have anything to show.

as for Hard disc recorders, you'll still be able to record those shows and watch them probably for as long as you are subscribed to the relevant movie channels (apart from box office which would expire more quickly). You just won't be able to save digitally to a DVD recorder.

Its not much different from macrovision being put on the output of the sky box now, when you are watching box office etc.

3. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Where there's a will there's a way. Won't be too long before a solution arises.