1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point of buying a DVD if you're never going to watch it...?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking through the classifieds on here and at other forums, I see more and more disc advertised as "sealed" and "factory sealed" and "mint condition"...

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but is not the point of buying the disc/set in the first place not to enjoy contents of aforementioned disc/set...:confused:

I know there are collectors out there, but I think that just lately things are going slightly overboard. This is just my opinion BTW and I'm not pointing any fingers at any forum members...but £110 for a second hand disc :eek: :confused: A couple of years ago, the DVD classifieds was just that...somewhere where you could pass on your used discs and maybe pick up a bargain or 2 and pay prices that were actually less than the new price...

So, getting back to my original question - what's the point of buying a disc and leaving it sealed...? Anybody care to comment...?

2. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
    i have a few disc's i haven't watched yet, i got Lethal weapon 1 & 2 DC almost 4 years ago and i only have watched the first one, the second one is sealed. i just haven't got around to watching it,i must be in the right mood to break that seal!! but the time will come soon as the other half hasn't seen any of the leathal weapon films, so a viewing is near.

i do see your point, but have given up wondering why some people hoard dvd's!
    and sell sealed films.... :confused: some may be doublers/unwanted gifts.

but there is no way i'd pay more than £20 for a SINGLE film!

3. arn

arn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could be unwanted gifts!!!

4. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always watch the discs I buy, and if I really like a film (and can afford it) I buy the Limited Editions (like Oldboy, and HOFD). These sets are limited, but I don't keep them sealed, however I won't watch them repeatedly as they are to be treasured, and I have the original copies I bought which come out prior to these sets.
    Alot of people buy en-bulk the likes of Oldboy LE, and sell on e-bay. You could buy it new at time of release for about £40-50 and already we are starting to see them go for £100-£149 on auction sites. Given that only 2000+ were produced the price will go on rising until any new format kicks in.
    I don't like that as it denies others the opportunity of buying these sets, and if you blink you can miss out due to bulk buyers

I think I've maybe gone a bit off track there, but I notice a few people who buy dvd's and never get round to watching them. Too much money, or addiction. I have about 250+ titles and have only to watch 2.

5. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have plenty of films I haven't watched yet that are still sealed as new and I haven't watched them because I haven't felt in the mood for them. I did used to leave all my DVDs sealed until I watched them but nowadays I open my DVDs to check they aren't scratched or damaged in transport. With some of my DVDs being 12 months - 18 months old and unwatched you can't really take them back if there's a problem. I must own 60 films I haven't seen yet.

Anyway it could be a similar situation where they haven't been watched and they now need the money or perhaps they're selling their DVDs in order to upgrade to HD DVD?

I have to agree with Edinburgh160 that more and more people are buying DVDs specifically to sell and not just limited editions. They buy in bulk and then sell on ebay or wherever. Personally I hate these people because they snap up all the bargains specifically to sell them on preventing those who buy DVDs for personal use from picking up fantastic money-saving offers.

6. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've got about 40 titles to crack open yet, the addiction to buy has been greater than my available time to watch.

I agree with you about this I've missed out on some of the really nice b/s+l/e that have been floating around, and I suspect that the bulk buy speculators are the reason for it.