Whats the next step in my setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by imamosher, Jan 11, 2012.

1. imamosher

imamosher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys - I have purchased myself a set of Aviano 1's recently which I have been running off my Onkyo amp as a stereo setup. When I do purchase the rest of the aviano range the 1's will go to the back as rears.

I am now looking at expanding into the rest of the Aviano range but cant afford to purchase the centre, sub and two fronts all at once. I could purchase them each seperately the period of a year and only use them once I have the full set but that would kill me to look at the speakers for a whole year without being able to use them.

So my question is which speakers would I be able to purchase and use straight away eg: Can you use two fronts and a centre without a sub and rears or can you use two fronts and two rears without a centrea and sub?

Confusing question but I hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks for any help

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,408
    Within reason you can use any combination ou want. So you could buy the sub now and use it with the speakers you have (2.1), you could buy the fronts and move the current speakers to the rear (4.0) or you could buy the centre and use it with the current speakers (3.0). I would suggest your biggest gain is probably buying the fronts and moving the other speakers to the rear as this gives you surround straight away. as long as you sit fairly central to the TV you can get away without having a centre for awhile so if this is the case then I would get a sub next (4.1) and then finally get the centre to make 5.1.
    On the sub front, there is no need to buy the same make of sub as the other speakers. As such I would look at the BK Electronics range of subs as they offer great value for money. If on a very tight budget the Wharfedale diamond 9 sw150 from Superfi for £170 is hard to beat for the money.

3. imamosher

imamosher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That answers my question exactly - the reason I was thinking about keeping it to the aviano range is because I like to have everything matching but I will look into the diamond 9.

Thanks for your reply

4. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I would say the opposite myself, buy a decent centre speaker so you atleast have a coherent and consistent front sound stage then add the rears and sub later on when money lets you.

in surround sound the centre is the most important speaker so i would buy that first if i already have a set of front speakers.

5. imamosher

imamosher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

That makes sense, thanks for your input. When I first purchased my amp and only connected the two fronts the amp was set to surround sound and it took me about 10 mins to work out why I couldnt hear any voices. If I put the amp into surround mode and had only the two fronts and centre speaker would things still sound correct?

again - if that makes sense??:rolleyes:

6. beanoir

beanoir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ^ I concur

Rear speakers are for effects and don't really define the sound stage nearly as much as the front 3 speakers do. The front speaker will add more accuracy to the position of the vocals and bring more separation across the channels providing a much more realistic surround effect than having a "quad" set-up would do with 1 speaker in each corner.

7. imamosher

imamosher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply, it would seem that the centre speaker is next on my list.

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,408
    How central to the TV do you sit?
    If you sit in a fairly limited area and central to the TV with the speakers at close to the ideal location then the fronts will create an effective 'phantom' centre. There is at least one member on here who has electrostatic fronts so due to not have a matching centre they do not have one at all. He has a sub and rears and is very happy with his sound, so a centre is not essential if you have a good layout. The idea of the centre is to tie the vocals to the screen, which is useful if a) your front speakers can not produce a good stereo image (i.e. if satelite speakers) or b) you have numerous seating locations off centre from the screen. If you are sat fairly centrally the getting rears will add more to your experience IMHO. If you do have multiple seating locations off centre then a centre is probably the best speaker to get next as mentioned above.
    If you tell your amp you do not have a centre it will send the information to the front L/R so it will still sound correct.

9. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    You can perfectly get away with a phantom centre speaker but all the systems ive heard with this have always left me wanting more, like there was something i couldnt put my finger on missing from the mix.

I still maintain its better to get a good coherent front sound stage, even with 3 front speakers you can still get a good film and music experience, rear speakers will add to this but the front 3 are the 3 you get right.

10. beanoir

beanoir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Phantom downmixing of the centre is a truly awful idea, especially as you quite often find that many AV amplifiers will automatically enable DRC "compression" when downmixing across channels.

IMO a centre will make much more difference than adding rear effects speakers which quite often don't have much to do anyway. I'd even probably think of adding a sub before rears in fact.