What's the next BIG thing in AV?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MacReady, Nov 6, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Been discussing this with a couple of friends over the last couple of days.

At the moment the 'big' thing in AV is HD. The plethora of displays that are now HD ready and the advent of SkyHD as well as HDDVD and Blu Ray, not to mention the next gen games consoles such as XBox 360 and PS3, have ensured that every man and his dog has at least heard the term HD used in some sense even if they have no idea what it means.

But what is next? We have stuff like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD on the way with regards to sound formats but I doubt they can be classed alongside the likes of DVD and flat panel displays as being something that everyone knows about.

So, what does everyone think is around the corner that will have the same kind of impact?

2. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    holographic projectors!!! like in minority report-except i hope its better quality and doesnt cut out so much!

3. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    TV's powered by hamsters.

That's the next big thing in AV. Don't believe me? Then ask my friend in Dixons - he'll put you straight. :) :confused:

4. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    could you imagine how badly your house would smell of animal mess with all those animals poweromg everything

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Solid state memory large enough to hold/buy HD films on and streaming HD over the net.

Throw away those dvd's and CD's.

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    I'll go with that too.... Silver Discs are surely gonna be a thing of the pat inside the next 5 years now we've got 100Mb broadband on the horizon...

you could stream non-HD content over the 24meg connections we have now! :clap:

7. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Ultra High Definition TV & fat broadband connections.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Ultra-huge tvs like total recall. Gimme gimme!!

9. skap7309

skap7309
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bound to be a cd/dvd storage soloution such as a virtual jukebox etc as at the mo HD IS the next big thing

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Otherwise known as Itunes?!?! :rotfl: :devil:

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    uhh...Apple's iPod/iTunes brand as a generic term...uhh. I implore everyone to try STP player - free, runs in tray and hardly uses any system resources

As for next "big thing"...hmmmm. Bear with me...content wherever you go.....i.e. play a song/video and it will follow you if you go to your car from your home, to work etc....content will resume at last point etc....

Also naturally hamster power everything as the ultimate renewable energy source...bar animal rights protests...imaine it.....hamsters to make your car move.....provide electricity....the power...

12. skap7309

skap7309
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well.......kinda. what i meant is similar to a previous post, somewhere to eliminate all dvds and cds. Yes there are things on the market like ipods/hard disc recorders but they dont seem to be everyones answer

13. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    People will complain about the soulless digital format so Linn will bring out a high end analogue TV. and 'vinyl video' player :laugh:

14. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Next year Telewest/NTL users will be able to stream HiDef over the net on there fat 100meg lines .... lucky fatherless people :mad: :)

15. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Home automation and Central Server PC. The server will be linked to client PCs around the house to listen to music, watch video etc in all of the rooms (Can be done now but it's not very big at the moment).

Your kitchen client taking note of how much food you have and automatically ordering more of what is needed once a week and having it delivered to your door (Again, the online shopping and delivery thing is already there, but the gap is for the home netowrk to realise what is needed. Maybe a scanner to scan the barcode of used product ?!).

Being able to use TomTom navigator to tell your heating to switch on when you are about 30 minutes away from home.....especially in winter.

16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    hopefully the next big thing in AV will be the death of Sony/Itunes and the facking ipod!

Christ i hate ipods or more importantly ipod users - christ you'd have thought apple invented the mp3.

/rant off

Gary

17. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    why?

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Because 5 years ago i bought a creative jukebox (6gb) and had loads of people ask me why i wanted to carry my whole record collection with me everywhere as it was a really stupid idea. these same people are now banging about how great the ipod is. i've even had people tell me that apple invented the hd music player. :rotfl::rotfl:

then there is of course the fantastic itunes - buy mp3's are these people mad!!! why would you want to buy an a 10 track mp3 album on mp3? people are being mugged in broad daylight and they cant even see it. they are saving a fortune on disc production/printing/packaging etc but i dont see those savings being passed on. buy the cd at least you can keep it forever and you cant lose it when the pc crashes.

/double rant off :D

Gary

19. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Saw that networked fridge barcode reader on TV about 5 years ago, can't think of anything worse. "hmmm....what shall I have for tea? Ah oh....choise already made for me" - might aswell move back in with mumsy :lesson: :hiya:

TomTom heating is good though - I have great idea on a similar line, can't tell anyone though cos it still might make me RICH!! :clap:

20. skap7309

skap7309
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ummm....yeah i totally agree with you and some good ideas there but maybe not the NEXT big thing?! :D :rotfl:

21. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This sounds pretty interesting:

Japan demonstrates next-gen TV broadcast

(eetimes.com) TOKYO — Aiming at next-generation broadcasting, Japan Broadcast Corporation (NHK) has demonstrated a live relay of a 4x x 8k resolution Super Hi-Vision program connecting a 260-km distance by a fiberoptic network.

NHK's next-generation broadcasting system can convey the sensation of reality to viewers. Super Hi-Vision is the provisional format for that purpose, achieving 7680 x 4320 pixels.

It already demonstrated the images of Super Hi-Vision at the 2005 World Exposition, Aichi, Japan, held from March to September in Aichi this year using a preliminary prepared video footage.

NHK developed a Super Hi-Vision camera equipped with 8 megapixel CCD image sensors that can take 4k x 8k images. In the field test, it sent the two cameras to a sea park and sent baseband signals without image compression using an fiberoptic network formed by multiple network companies.

The signal of the total 24 gigabits per second was divided into 161.5 Gbps HD-SDI signals to sent using the DWDM (dense wavelength division multiplex) method.

"Super Hi-Vision has huge information and was difficult to transmit. Using 16 waves on optic fiber, we succeeded a live relay over a long distance. This means that Super Hi-Vision proved the possibility of being a future TV broadcasting technology," said Mikio Maeda, senior research engineer of the laboratory.

22. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    that japanese stuff sounds mad :eek: Mr Razor should sell his tv now as its rubbish :D in fact so's my vera - come to think of it yours is rubbish too. :D

As for music - hard drives aren't really suited as they are so fragile - what they need is just bags of RAM. Can 40gb of RAM fit into a fag packet?

Gary

23. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
  24. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    128GB!!! thats alot of tunes, but hey trains can be hell these days you need something to listen too.

Gary

25. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The unbreakable fail proof Hard disk.
    This is a dream but certainly necessary before I would commit my music collection to a media player....

26. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    to be fair , apple itunes have done pretty well to convert the sceptics and then rip them off at it!! :D

27. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I had forgotten about this thread :cool:

It is interesting to see that most people seem to agree on the next thing to be big in av...and that is convergence.

I also think we will start to see stuff like single media units that house all our movie and music collections as well as being our pc that controls everything in the home.

I like the idea about having movies and music 'follow' you as you move around the home and even go out and get in your car :smashin:

28. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I think were defiantly looking at home automation and fully integrated entertainment. Interactive screens in most rooms all connected to a main server which downloads TV, Films and Music. I also think that mobiles will develop to become people’s electronic keys allowing you to communicate with your home from where ever you are. We will be able to pull messages, information and media activate devices such as cookers and washing machines, monitor security devices at home and on cars etc.
    I can really see all this happening and it will be the people on this forum who become the guinea pigs and will buy the expensive prototypes! :D

29. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be nice for people on the forum to actually create something like this, sell the product to MS, make a mint and retire to St Lucia.

I'll get designing shall I ?

30. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Get cracking then will all do our bit split the royalties and then will buy St Lucia! :D