What's the minimum you have to pay for basic Sky HD?

lesaurus12

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can any one please tell me from the horses mouth coz they are useless at sky!
I currently have sky+. I just have the free to view channels no extras at all and I pay th £10 per month to get the sky+ functionality.
I have just got a new panny plasma with a freesat tuner built in and I have had a little taste of BBC HD just by connecting one of my sky cables to it.
I think it's great but me and the missus could not watch telly now in the old fashioned way without pause/ record etc.

I thought about using the humax freesat recorder but tried it around my father in laws the other night and found it really difficult to operate - all kinds of stuff was going on and i immediately took a dislike to it and started comparing it to the simplicity of sky :)

So i rang sky and asked them what the cheapest option for me to get the free HD channels was. She really didnt convince me that she knew what she was talking about and said it would be at least £26 per month.

Is it not £10 for the "+" and £10 for the "HD"? =£20

All i want is to be able to watch and pause/record BBC HD and whatever other free ones there are, nothing else.

Also my dad has an HD subscription but wants to change back to normal. Could we just swap boxes to save on the install fee?

Also i have read about Sky HD boxes giving a really bad SD picture. Recently though there seems to be talk about it sorting itself out. Is that true? Should i be asking for (insisting) on a certain type of box (pace/samsung)?

Your help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Wrong forum but no doubt the thread will be moved soon:)

Well first off SKY are going to sell you a subscription based package to offset the price of the SKY+HD (Free or perhaps £49 plus install) so if you don't want a subscription you have to look to buy on the open market (used or new) and expect to pay around the £200 mark. If you really want an unsubsidised SKY+HD from SKY then budget around £399 plus install:)
If you are willing to pay a subscription then if take 1 MIX and Movies plus HD you get a free SKY+ HD (not sure about an install charge) and after a year you can downgrade.

You can not take the HD pack alone as you can with the SKY+ service, you have to take at least one MIX option so that means the minimum is £28 a month (Dec 23rd prices, vat goes up next week) plus the price of the SKY+HD and Install.
The SKY website is as good a place to look for current upgrade deals.

You can certainly swap your dads SKY+HD box with yours, just ring SKY to pair the cards over, you do not need to take the HD sub to use a SKY+HD.

I didn't notice any significant difference between the RGB scart of my SKY+ and the HDMI of the SKY+HD, many people do though but the effect is pretty much dependent upon what the results were from the old box which varied from make to make and model to model. It's impossible to say for sure if you will be happy with the RGB scart of HDMI SD output of a SKY+HD until you have it set up and the TV fined to maximise that particular input.

Last edited:
OK thanks for the answer. So instead of looking for a box on the open market and paying £200 for it I could just swap with my dad (good old dad!) and install it myself- i've seen guides here on the forum.
So where does that leave me with getting the HD pack. Can i then pay 10 for the + and 10 for the HD pack?

So where does that leave me with getting the HD pack. Can i then pay 10 for the + and 10 for the HD pack?

No you can not just take the HD pack, if we could most of us would given what it provides for the money:)
You can source a SKY+HD privately and continue to pay the £10 for SKY+ and that gives you access to the "free" HD channels which include BBCHD, Ch4HD and LuxeHD (ITVHD via the new EPG but not recordable).
You need at least 1 SD MIX package (which includes SKY+ bit) then add the HD pack, if you add movies they will give you a SKY+ HD box for free (£30 install I think).
Also be aware the HD pack only provides HD sport and movies if you take SKY Sports SD and SKY Movies SD packs.

She really didnt convince me that she knew what she was talking about and said it would be at least £26 per month.

As starburst has said and repeated - she was right - it's coming up to £28.
A few people did use to get the HD Pack on its own, but they clamped down on that in the middle of this year.

Hi Chaps, thought it was worth joining just to say that it appears that Sky have some limitations in their sales systems to link any HD upgrade to a premium pack of Sports or Movies, however, they always have some leeway ;) if you haggle with them.

I managed to get an upgrade from standard sky (not +) to +HD without them insisting on a 12 month movies or sports upgrade, AND free box AND free installation. So I only pay the £9.70 HD subs. :)

It's always worth haggling.

You can subscribe to HD as long as you have a sky subscription.

Cheapest subscription is 1 mix at £16.5, you then need to add the HD sub to that if thats what you want.

so the cheapest subscription with HD is £26.50 by my reckoning.

What are you all talking about, where have you all been - in a cave somewhere?

i recently got a free Sky+HD box free from Sky with no £10 extra payment on top. Yes you heard me right FREE. All i paid is my normal £19 inc Knowledge mix which comes with the HD anyway.

A lot of peeps on this site took advantage of this freebies too.

What are you all talking about, where have you all been - in a cave somewhere?

i recently got a free Sky+HD box free from Sky with no £10 extra payment on top. Yes you heard me right FREE. All i paid is my normal £19 inc Knowledge mix which comes with the HD anyway.

A lot of peeps on this site took advantage of this freebies too.

The by all means if that method is still valid give the OP the heads up however when it comes to pricing it's always better to state the published regular pricing rather than deals or individually negotiated pricing.

If you got SKY+HD free of charge with no or nominal install charge and get 1 MIX and HD for £19 for 12 months then you got the deal of the year:)

One mix and free HD should be £17 - you've been overcharged.:D

The by all means if that method is still valid give the OP the heads up however when it comes to pricing it's always better to state the published regular pricing rather than deals or individually negotiated pricing.

If you got SKY+HD free of charge with no or nominal install charge and get 1 MIX and HD for £19 for 12 months then you got the deal of the year:)

Not only me mate this includes 6000+ others.

One mix and free HD should be £17 - you've been overcharged.

I no that but i am too nice and generous. Indeed i have couple of mixes.

Not only me mate this includes 6000+ others.

Good for you but instead of saying you've got a deal tell the people in the thread how so they can give it a go, share the knowledge:)

I have a friend who insists he gets all the HD channels bar Sport and Movies by just paying for the £17 base mix. That seems to be the cheapest way of getting everything. He even gets HD versions of channels he can't get the SD variant of, such as Sky Arts.

Good for you but instead of saying you've got a deal tell the people in the thread how so they can give it a go, share the knowledge:)

Go to the SkyHD offer thread. it is right there in front of you or search using goggle.

Go to the SkyHD offer thread. it is right there in front of you or search using goggle.

Thank you, that's all the info the OP and others required, just a pointer in the right direction:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom