1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the "Lindy" 10 meter DVI cable like? (Urgent)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Alexg, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Alexg

Alexg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a time limit of a week to buy and install a DVI cable to my projector as the floor is going down next weekend. I had installed all the other cables prior to plastering but forgot about putting in a DVI cable for future HDTV connection.

The run is 10m, I have found this cable http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/LINDY10.html

Has anyone used this cable or know anyone who has? Is a DVI-D cable the best to go for, is there any need to have a DVI-I cable?

Thanks.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Alex,

A 10m DVI cable is pushing it a bit if you don't get top quality (and pricey!) gear such as those from Bettercables - 7.5m is the usual limit for DVI. An HDMI cable may be a better bet for future use. DVI/HDMI adapters are widely available should you not have any HDMI-equipped gear yet. Please test any cable you buy before you bury it! :) Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the lindy 7.5 metre dvi cable running on a sony hs10 and a sony hs20 and that was absolutely fine, i was getting no "sparklies" like some people were reporting with the 10 metre+ cables.

all the best....splice :)

4. Alexg

Alexg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, but it has to be 10 meter, even 10 meter is pushing it (may have to stretch it lol) I've searched and found 2 posts saying the LINDY 10 meter cable works great so I'm going to go for that, I've only got a week time limit to get this cable in but don't worry I will test it before getting it through the ceiling void.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    alexg

As others have said test the cable with the kit your planning to use - and test it at the highest resolution your likely to want to send across the cable.

If you need to go longer than 10m there are options - see http://www.hdmiplanet.com/dimadvca12me.html

You definitely don't want to go 'stretching' any DVI cables and keep in mind the connector/cable interface is quite stiff and not best pleased if you bend it through too tight a radius.

If the Lindy works for you and its too short its better to consider adding a short jumper cable too it to get the length you require - though again best to test this before you settle on that option.

Best regards

Joe