Whats the "Lindy" 10 meter DVI cable like? (Urgent)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Alexg, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Alexg

Alexg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a time limit of a week to buy and install a DVI cable to my projector as the floor is going down next weekend. I had installed all the other cables prior to plastering but forgot about putting in a DVI cable for future HDTV connection.

The run is 10m, I have found this cable http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/LINDY10.html

Has anyone used this cable or know anyone who has? Is a DVI-D cable the best to go for, is there any need to have a DVI-I cable?

Thanks.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Alex,

A 10m DVI cable is pushing it a bit if you don't get top quality (and pricey!) gear such as those from Bettercables - 7.5m is the usual limit for DVI. An HDMI cable may be a better bet for future use. DVI/HDMI adapters are widely available should you not have any HDMI-equipped gear yet. Please test any cable you buy before you bury it! :) Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the lindy 7.5 metre dvi cable running on a sony hs10 and a sony hs20 and that was absolutely fine, i was getting no "sparklies" like some people were reporting with the 10 metre+ cables.

all the best....splice :)

4. Alexg

Alexg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, but it has to be 10 meter, even 10 meter is pushing it (may have to stretch it lol) I've searched and found 2 posts saying the LINDY 10 meter cable works great so I'm going to go for that, I've only got a week time limit to get this cable in but don't worry I will test it before getting it through the ceiling void.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    alexg

As others have said test the cable with the kit your planning to use - and test it at the highest resolution your likely to want to send across the cable.

If you need to go longer than 10m there are options - see http://www.hdmiplanet.com/dimadvca12me.html

You definitely don't want to go 'stretching' any DVI cables and keep in mind the connector/cable interface is quite stiff and not best pleased if you bend it through too tight a radius.

If the Lindy works for you and its too short its better to consider adding a short jumper cable too it to get the length you require - though again best to test this before you settle on that option.

Best regards

Joe