1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the general feeling on this...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Smurfin, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Denon 3802 vs Yamaha DSP A1

?

I have a yammy 3090 but as most people won't even remember it, the A1 is closest thing to it.

Audio performance wise, is one far superior to the other?

Cheers
    Smurf

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    And I mean in 5.1 for movies mainly:D

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The 3802 being fairly new and having more decoding options it will surely beat the A1 in terms of features.

Haven't done a direct comparision but I can say a few things to the A1 which I own: it's very powerful and can go loud if you have speakers to match (my first set couldn't cope, hence I upgraded). AV performance is top notch while stereo is perhaps best called 'neutral' (sh.. in, sh.. out); some call it bright so carefull matching with the speakers is required. Use some good recordings and the amp sounds good, too. Well, for me at least.

Inputs and outputs for that matter are more than sufficient (no component switching though) and digital inputs cannot be assigned or renamed. However it has a phono and RF (laserdisc) input, too.

It's only a 5.1 amp but I love it and have no intention to replace it anytime soon.

4. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a 3090 (up 4 grabs on the classifieds) and an a2 and i wont budge from the yamahas I have listend to the denons a friend of mine has a avc10se (i think thats it) and a poat 10 power amp setup which is great but i prefere the yamahas.I take it your looking at upgrading the 3090 to a denon and used the a1 as a reference yes? If so the only advice i can offer is listen to the amp that you are interested and see what you like most good dealers will set an amp up for you to audition:D