What's the general consensus on the LG RHT387H?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xist, Feb 1, 2009.

1. xist

xist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My brother bought one yesterday (£50 less than the alternative Sony RDRHX770) and having had a search for reviews my google powers seem to be failing me. He hasn't opened it yet, so in a last ditch attempt to get the best option for him, is this a return to the shop asap type scenario or does the LG match up to the big players of Sony and Panasonic? If not can anyone point out the failings of the machine.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I can only speak in broad terms.

LG build down to a price and feature pack their machines.

Possibly they are bargains in their own way... but they do not have the high performance, reliability and usability of the better and more expensive makes.

3. xist

xist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    So that's code for "Take it back, the Sony is worth the £50 extra!" ;)

Thanks Gavtech, reliable as ever.

4. robgee1964

robgee1964
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costco are selling them for £126 including VAT, with 90 day money back no-questions-asked etc.

So I got one, and I have to say so far I'm impressed. The actual machine feels quite chunky and well made, although the remote is a bit cheap looking. Instruction manual was pretty good too, despite some very occasional bits of pigeon english.

But the sound and vision quality is excellent, decent sized hard drive, DVD-ram support etc. Also, it *appears* to have the option to change DVD regions too. The only thing lacking was picture zoom, but then the cheaper sonys and pannys I looked at seemed to lack that also.

Looking on the forums, people are moaning about some of the cheaper sony models anyway. I have to say, this LG model was advertised 200-odd quid in currys, so at that price it might be worth spending a bit extra and getting a panasonic. But the deal costco were doing made it a no brainer really.

So far I think I'll keep it, although I will report back if I discover something bad and take it back.

5. Chris_174

Chris_174
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not an expert on the other models, I wanted a cheapo to record Freeview while I got round to embarking on the MythTV line.
    Got my LG at Costco and it does roughly what I want.

Silly points:
    Can't delete recordings while recording. (I may well be viewing, deleting while timer records are going on. From a technical point of view this cannot be an insurmountable problem.)

Watching DVD when a timer recording comes on: 10 and 5 min warnings splash on the tv to warn of impending record then it switches to the record channel and you have to fight to get your dvd image back! Doh!

Had two recordings set to go back-to-back on same channel: First file had 1.5 programmes, 2nd had 0.5. I guess that MAY have been down to EPG errors?

Recording to HDD: It absolutely LOVES you to watch subtitles! You can turn them off, but they'll be back on as soon as you tinker.

Had one instance of HDD going into record then a hang: Display showed static duration count and only a mains-out reset got it back working.

Pictures (JPEGs): Waayyye too slow to be of any earthly use to me.

General observation: Controls are fiddly from a conceptual point of view. You have to have a (correct) mental image of what's going on; e.g. pressing 'Stop' when playing HDD - don't do it twice if you're recording 'cos the second one stops that. If it's your only machine then this may be fine, but if you have other ones to play with it could be too much to remember.

My 0.02GBP

6. rt3600

rt3600
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same sub-title problem with the RHT387H - whenever I use the EPG to record a programme it starts showing the sub-titles (drives me nuts!) unless I wait for it to finish recording and then replay.

Can't use time slip or play back another recording while it's still recording in the first instance. Does anyone know how to switch the subtitles off - they're not on at any other time but the recorded seems determined that I watch recordings with them on:(

7. Chris_174

Chris_174
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can always turn off the subtitles on a per-recording basis although the actual button-presses may vary. The subtitle button is where to look. Either right-arrow or OK toggles them off.

You can't time slip while recording because that's a second record (which is not supported) but you can playback while recording. Having said that, I haven't sussed if you can playback when the timer record started from standby. In this scenario, the machine plays dead on its output and I would need to experiment to find out how to get it out of 'standby' to playback. [Edit]You can wake it up by pressing the 'list' button to list recordings'[/Edit]
    If you think my account is convoluted that's because the machine is not straight forward to use.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  8. rt3600

rt3600
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris

Thanks for your answer - the subtitle button then right arrow button works:)

Seems bizarre that the subtitles on is the default (and LG didn't know how to fix it) but very glad there's a simple fix

Rob

9. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does this do Freeview Plus - specifically Series Link?

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093

Welcome to the forum.

Yes it does.

[ Page 25 of the manual - Downloadable from the LG site. ]

11. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.
    The LG website seems very contradictory - do you know the difference between this model (RHT387H) and the RHT397H?
    I can't see a difference on the LG website?
    Any help would be appreciated...
    John

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    The differences are not at all clear. Six models share the same manual and all have the same specification except for HDD differences as follows:

HDD

(RHT387H/RHT397H: 160GB,
    RHT388H/RHT398H: 250GB,
    RHT389H/RHT399H: 320GB),

Otherwise, the only difference seems to be a cosmetic and layout difference

The RHT389H/RHT388H/RHT387H have one type of layout and:

RHT399H/RHT398H/RHT397H has another.

These can be seen on Page 8 of the manual.

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    To simplify further - whatever model - the bigger the final number in the model number - the bigger the hard disc.

...and the numbers prior to that are 38 or 39 which define the layout type.

14. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Gavtech - I can't seem to download (or even find) the manuals - can you send me a link...?

15. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a link but the LG site I use for this is down at the moment ... so I've uploaded the file to a File sharing site so you can download it directly.

It's a 2976 KB download.

File is here.

16. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good Man - Many thanks...
    :clap:

17. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know of a Region Free hack for this device?

18. thepfy

thepfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Looking at the manual the 39* models are missing the DVD and HDD lights so I think they don't have the hard drive.

19. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking at page 8 of the manual, and it indicates that both versions have HDD option - it's marked as Number 11
    They just seem to be in different places on the unit, that's all.
    I've just bought a 387 so fingers crossed it's OK!
    Could still do with a region free hack though...!!

20. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    It may be worth trying in this section of the forum.

Although it is intended for player hacks - there must be a similarity.

21. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I've had this machine for a week now and have to agree with some comments - it has its flaws!
    Aside from the other comments in this thread, the upscaling on mine does not seem that good.
    Certainly upscaling via freeview I don't get as good a picture as I do via FreeSAT normal SD! Even at 1080p
    And I can't seem to access the upscaling function while watching DVD's - when I press the RES button on the front I get a 'this button won't work' symbol appear...
    Any suggestions?
    Subtitles are a pain (but not the end of the world I guess - I have freeview in my TV and freesat so don't foresee a problem)
    Still can't find a region free hack that works which is a shame also...

22. littlecam

littlecam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am now on my replacement 42" LG after the first randomly blacked out for a few seconds now and again. The new upgraded one is also playing up with a new issue. However the other two smaller screen LG i own are perfect but much smaller in screen size. so i think perhaps LG are good until you go over 40"

23. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To continue my review of the RHT-387H...
    Still not overly impressed with the upscaling of my DVDs. Been told I need to select the resolution before putting a DVD in - seems odd but hey. Not 100% sure its as effective as my £15 bargain upscaling DVD player from Sainburys...
    Very annoying that when watching a DVD it will interrupt viewing to start a timer recording - and then not remember where I was at when it interrupted! Amateur to say the least...
    To avoid subtitles when watching a programme being recorded, simple use chase play and you can then turn the subtitles off. Again not ideal, but a useable workaround...
    Other than these niggles very pleased. Series link works OK (although often records repeats when set to series record)
    STILL can't find a region hack - anyone...???
    Hope this all helps...

24. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Littlecam - not sure if this is the right thread for this comment as we're talking about HDD DVD recorders.
    Anyways, my 42" LG LCD has been problem free so far... Touch wood...

25. aerobaticant

aerobaticant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  26. crisparmour

crisparmour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, Cheesy, I've just taken the plunge and bought a 320GB model.
    Not sure if it's a 389 or 399, but I've read the fine manual through and it raises as many questions as it answers for me.

My first problem seems to be recording from the EPG. I have selected a number of programmes and have a green smiley for each on the EPG but only one of them shows up in the timer list, and the others have passed without being recorded. Is there something I'm missing out on?

Crispy

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  27. Chris_174

Chris_174
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you sure you're selecting series-linked recording? You may have the choice of one-off or series. I believe mine show a red smiley if it's series-linked, green for one-off.

The record menu from EPG needs careful reading each time as the word "NOT" sometimes gets snuck-in!

28. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Mr 174 - green is a one off recording and red seems to be series link.
    It will only show the next programme in a series to be recorded in the timer list - not the whole series.
    I'm guessing this is why it records repeats - it simply searches the EPG for the next ocurrence of a title and records it! Slightly annoying!
    The fact that it stops playback (of HDD or DVD) when the timer starts is INCREDIBLY annoying - as it doesn't remember where you were when it interrupted!
    Hey Ho - overall I'm still pleased but like I say, the little things let it down!

29. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, and I've found a region free hack that seems to work OK!
    Bonus!

30. Chris_174

Chris_174
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am increasingly disillusioned with the software on this machine. I was watching the MotoGP from Valencia and lunch was called. The first few laps were gone so I obediently went to lunch thinking I could watch the remainder afterwards. Wishful thinking?

Pressed 'List' and 'OK' on the current recording. Screen froze and FP display said 'Hell-zero'. I knew at that point that it would not have saved the recording, and lo-and-behold it re-starts and goes into timer record to get the last few seconds of interview from the pits. Ah yes! The Pits! That's a good description.:thumbsdow