1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the first movie you watched on your PJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Feb 13, 2002.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    or plan to watch.

Not for a quick test - a proper sit down all the way through watch. and reasons why :)

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Should be getting my panny PJ any day now. Hopefully the screen will arrive at the same time. Anyway, in answer to your question Richard, I'm probably being predictable but I'd say Saving Private Ryan 16:9 and Gladiator 2.35:1. Why, purely because they're loud big budget blockbusters oh and they're quite good films too! Now I'll have the size image that will do justice to the sound. I'm probably going to watch my whole collection over again. At least 2 movies a night for the first week or two:D :D

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well!, the screen arrived today, its still in the box because i'm in the middle of rebuilding my living room, soon to be a home theater :D it also looks like the projector was almost delivered today too, but as I didnt know it was coming I was at work :( . As for the first film i'm going to watch, probably Aliens or The Thing but first I need to watch the first 5 minutes of StarWars (when I saw it at the cinema that ship just went on forever and ever).

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Toy story 2 as Roland finished the install on my Barco 808s just as the kids arrived back from school. Looked superb though as did the next few dozen DVD's I have watched since.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    You played Toy Story 2 on one of Rolands projectors? and while he was there? Your lucky to still be alive!

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Starwars Episope IV - VHS letter box no line doubler looked supurb.

Doesn't look so hot now 10 years later.

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Das Boot, Thought the claustrophobia etc would come through well on the big screen, and I was right. It was great!

Next film was Gladiator, I was impressed with it on the small screen, so big screen wise it was even better.

The most recent film was Rock Star, a bit of fun and took me back to my yoot!

8. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Independance Day....wow!!!!!

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Saving Private Ryan R1
    2. Starship Troopers R1
    3. JP & JPII R2
    4. Shrek R2
    5. Fifth Element R1
    6. Toy Story 2 R2
    7. The Iron Giant R2
    8. Tarzan R2
    9. Contact R2
    10. Charlies Angles R2

May vary order a bit depending on what the kids & wife feel like at the time, but definately SPRyan 1st!!!

10. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Toy Story 2
    It was before calibration and the colours were a bit off so I thought I would be less distracted as there's no fleshtones to worry about!

After calibration I watched The Big Labowski - for no other reason than it's one of my favourite films and is a good movie to watch as a group. Everyone was rolling about as usual

"You're entering a world of pain son..."

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after watching short clips of various films and dscaler in action the first full movie must of been Gladiator (I think). Just to add to this topic the size of the screen brings out so much more detail/substance to a film, watching starwars/gladiator/armourgeddon etc all the small 32" screen just does'nt feel the same.

Having watched Armourgeddon ages ago and then on TV recently via dscaler and the projector it was like watching another movie. I really enjoyed 5th Element on channel 4 the other week too, the quality was just out of this world. All films look great on the big screen but it would be cool if people would list their top 5 films which SURPRISED them on the projector.

I've watched the following so far :)

Leon* (great film, since it twice and loved it both times!)

Gladiator (good action movie with a story)

The Thing* (really good film on the large screen)

Unbreakable* (great story/acting much like sixth sense)

Sixth Sense (amazing film but Im undecided which I prefer out of
    this and Unbreakable)

Amourgeddon (looks great on the big screen, really nice space action!)

Jurassic Park series (good films but showing their age? - storyline/characters need more punch!)

Bridget Jones Diary (good film to watch but I prefer meet the parents/

Meet the parents* (great film with good character actors)

Something About Mary* (great film again, a nice surprise having missed it at the cinema!)

Pitch Black (expected a different kind of film, but enjoyed this a lot as it was different to most sci-fi films)

Star Wars 4/5/6 (the best sci-fi space story ever imho)

Titanic (a simple film you can watch more than once, the feeling of being there is unlike any other film imho - I kind of feel I was taken back in time which rarely happens in a film)

Fast & Furious (not bad film, with a good story/characters for an action type film)

True Lies (great film, prefer this to most of the new James Bond movies....this is what the new James Bond should of been like ;) )

5th Element (might get the DVD, after seeing it on Channel 4)

Alien series (great films, I love the bits where you jump out of your seat!)

Valentine (quite a good scary movie, its a bit 'american' but has the odd 'jump out of your seat' moment!) - had to mention this considering todays date ;)

Terminator series (enough said!, one of the greats)

What Lies Beneath* (I like this movie a lot having missed it at the cinema)

I can't remember any more, but there are probably another 10 movies Ive forgotton, maybe I will post an update after work :clown:

I need to checkout some horror movies though, any suggestions? - I want to be frightnened!. I plan to buy JAWS on DVD as this should be great on the big screen!. Also a Bugs Life looks good, maybe I will get that too. Anyone know if the Pink Panther films can be bought as a set, I bet that would be a great laugh on the large screen too :)

Have Fun!
    James

12. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    the others r3 only costs less than £10 delivered from Hong Kong the only poor thing is that it non anamorphic 1/85/1 but it seems a good print to me. The best thing is the dts sound track it is the best I have heard it made me jump a few times. The surround sound on this movie is superb and one to show your system off watch in complete darkness & I guarantee you wil s*** your self.

13. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top 5 films? MMMMMM...

Terminator - just love it, almost inscessent action and you feel the desperation.

Fifth element, Great visuals, great action.

Aliens - Just a great action film

The Graduate - Class

Tank Girl - Saw it on big screen recently after seeing it a few years back on Sky, it's cheesey, but great fun.

I can't stick to just 5, these are the ones that spung to mind! Can't forget Gladiator, Spinal Tap, Wedding Singer, Happy Gilmore (reminds me of how I play golf).. The list is endless!

14. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah!, I have to get spinal tap on DVD!!, it's a new release isn't it?

Is 'the others' better than 'Jeepers Creepers' ?, Ive seen the latter and while it was good it was'nt scary enough !

I remember AGES ago seeing 'The Amity Ville Horror' movie?, and while I was pretty young at the time, I thought it was a very scary movie. Although if I watched it today I may think otherwise. Maybe I will get that DVD just to see if its still scary!.

I think Halloween would be another good DVD to watch, I forgot to mention that Deep Blue Sea is a great film if you like shark movies :)

James