What's the first match you remember going to ?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by HMHB, Aug 10, 2006.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,189
    The first match I remember being at, but it may not have been the first I'd been to, was in 1966 when Mansfield Town played the then great Sheffield Wednesday away in the FA Cup. My dad took myself and my older brother and they reckon at half time I asked what colour Mansfield were playing in :eek: :rotfl:
    Mansfield lost 4-0.

2. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Good thread John:

The first game I went to was in 1968 I think. My parents' friend took me & his son and it was a reserves game between Crystal Palace and QPR. Rodney Marsh was playing and he was the dogs danglies, scoring an effortless hat-trick in an easy win!

3. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blyth Spartans..who?.:D ..at ST James park,I must have been about 4.

I remember vividly sitting on the barrier and the ball headed straight for my face,my Dad stuck his big fist in the road and I lived to tell the tale.

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    First Match? 1973. Amateur cup final between our local side Walton & Hersham and Slough Town at Wembley. I'd been into football since 69', but both my uncles were fighting for my loyalty. I finally plumped for Arsenal (over Chelsea) in Dec 70' and went to my first match at Highbury in 73'. I wanted to go earlier but my uncle felt I was 'too young'. :rolleyes:

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,189
    I must add that I was only 5 when I went to that first game, so the reason for me not knowing what colour the Stags were playing in was not due to me being drunk :D

6. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    Chelsea v`s Bolton, back in the 60`s. We lost 2-1 :mad:

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,483
    Brazil v England under-15 school boys at Joker, sorry Roker Park in Sunderland, way back in erm...i dunno, 1986-ish....

8. Hairy

Hairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    NUFC v Derby County in the early 70's when Brian Clough was their manager.

9. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,829
    Probably a St.Albans City game in the old GM Vauxhall Opel league but my first top flight game was Watford v Spurs in about 1985 (I would've been about 10). I was in the away end with my dad & brother (both Spurs fans).

I took my 8 year old future step-son to his first game on Tuesday - Watford v Inter Milan (although he's a Chelsea fan after his father). Good game to go to, as friendlies go + he got to see a loads of big names & many from this years World Cup: Adriano, Zanetti, Pizarro, Cambiasso, Dacourt, Samuel, Solari, Martins, Toldo.

Bought him a half Watford, half Inter scarf & a programme which will be kept in pristine condition, which hopefully he'll appreciate when he's my age.

10. rio1981

rio1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    West Ham 2-1 Bristol Rovers - the old second division, went 1-0 down, then (if my memory serves) one each from David Speedie :)eek:) and Trevor Morley :)eek: :eek:) got us the win, and sent poor ol' Rovers down.

The one thing that stuck in my head though was just how far Julian Dicks could head a football - at that age it was like a goal kick!

11. gowdewiz

gowdewiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My first match was April 93. Pompey 2 - Wolves 0 in the run in to what should have been our promotion year. Walshy and Whittingham were awesome that year, a real force and a sight i'll never forget seeing those 2 up front together.

Pompey just missed out on 2nd though and ended up going out in the play-off to a Leicester team that were 12 points behind us at the end of the year :'(

Had the honour last night of taking my son (4) and daughter (6) to their first game to see pompey vs porto. Quite the experience for them being right behind the goal at the fratton end! They're a bit young to really appreciate it and had no clue who any of the players were, but they had fun all the same, and its the first step on making sure they dont grow up being one of these utd or chelsea clones that we see too much of nowadays. Pompey born, Pompey bred, and they'll bloody well support Pompey till the day i'm dead!

12. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Mine was United v Chelsea in March 1961, pretty sure we won but don't know the score. Chelsea got relegated, we finished about 14th that year.

Stu.

13. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Liverpool v Everton, pretty sure it was 1979 , and it was a draw (i think). I remember my dad taking me to see Bolton for the first time, it was for my 10th birthday, soon after the Anfield game, and i have been going ever sinse. I sit in my Dads season ticket seat, sinse he passed away in January

14. gosties

gosties

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    My first memory of Football match is slightly different as the first game I remember being at was a game in 1983. I was a ballboy for two games at Tannadice Park "Dundee United".

The games I was involved were Dundee Utd Vs St Mirren and Dundee Utd Vs Hibernian. At this time United had a very useful team, it gave you a rather wrong impression of what it would be like for the next twenty years plus.

I remember the game more for what happened to one of my friends who also was a ballboy. Anyone who knows about football in this era in Scotland will have heard of John Clark. He was practising taking free-kicks from around 20-30 yards and hammered one towards goal, the ball hit the advertising hoardings behind the goal and came flying back at some velocity. It hit my mate right in the face, knocking him clean out. It was hilarious as it seemed to happen in slow motion. He had to be carried around the pitch.

I'm just glad that it wasn't me.

15. jakebev

jakebev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    1989 - Wolves v. Chesterfield at a decrepit Molineux. Beat them 1-0 if I recall

Been on medication since :rolleyes: :D

16. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,119
    ManU v Norwich in circa 1978/79.

I remember that Lou Macari scored the winner, my old man was so excited that he jumped up and we both dropped our prawn sandwiches :oops:

17. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
    Forest V Man City, would have been 74ish, pretty sure we won 4-1 & Duncan Mckenzie was playing :)

18. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,733
    I have memories of going to watch City v Liverpool at Maine Road in around 1977/78 - might be wrong the year but I remember Sammy Lee, Kenny Dalglish (I think) taking the **** and Liverpool won about 5-0. Things have been pretty much the same since!!

This year is my 20th as a season ticket holder at City - blimey, you get less for murder :suicide:

19. derby4life

derby4life

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    good thread ....first game I remember going to was I think ...Shrewsbury v swansea .....mid 70's ish .. welsh cup

20. lennon

lennon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Luton V Liverpool. 1981 I think.

21. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    lol, shows how young I am looking at some of those dates lol.

First game I went to. Cardiff City Vs Manchester United in a friendly (I think in 1996 but I'm not sure). United won 2-1 I think, but I've been to nearly every Cardiff home match since (that match got my father back into watching Cardiff).

22. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    Leeds vs west brom 1979 ,me ,grandad and me old fella ,and we sat in the old lowfields stand ,all i can remember is the giant police horses and the pipe smoke .

23. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    First Divison, Wimbledon vs Watford, 1986, Plough Lane, I'm sure Watford won 2-1.

Aah, dear old Plough Lane, with your overflowing urinals, your meat pies of unidentifiable origin and your whiff of fags, beer and Bovril...Sam Hammam built it up and ruined it all...oh well.