What's the easiest/most efficient way to find a TV to suits your needs?

gringojesus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Slightly random question I guess. Have been going round in circles trying to find a TV but its proving very frustrating. Checking retailers websites is not particular useful as they don't seem to list all the info that you need (like input lag, etc) and finding reviews for newer TVs is pretty diffficult:mad:

So rather than plead with everyone to find a TV for me, I'm just curious how everyone goes about actually finding a TV. I have been trawling through the forums on this site, reading articles online and checking sites like Amazon, but getting nowhere fast. Is there a better way?

[for those interested in what TV I'm looking for]
I'm basically looking for a 42" TV primarily for gaming and movies. 3D would be an optional luxury, and i don't care about Smart features at all. Budget is around £500, willing to go over if it has 3D.

The one that is sticking out at the moment is the Sony KDL42W653. It is however £550, which is probably a little more than I want to pay for a non-3D TV. I have found the silver variant KDL42W654 for £510, but I am not so keen on silver.

I was also considering the TX-P42ST50B but cant find it anywhere, and the next one up (TX-P42GT50B) is a bit pricey.

Thanks for reading:thumbsup:

Found another couple to add to my maybe list:
Samsung UE42F5000 can be had for £400 on Amazon, but I've heard the panel on this size may be inferior. The 46" version should be fine, costs about £500ish.

also the Panasonic L42E6B can be had for £500 from John Lewis (with their 5 yr warranty), apparently has impressive blacks and acceptable input lag.

Any more suggestions are welcome:)

Thanks

Last edited:
My advice is go demo. If it means doing a spot of travelling then so be it. :)
Gotta remember when spending hundreds of pounds it's best to make sure your happy with the tv.
Personally speaking I think Sony have the best led/LCD tv's out there.

My advice is go demo. If it means doing a spot of travelling then so be it. :)
Gotta remember when spending hundreds of pounds it's best to make sure your happy with the tv.
Personally speaking I think Sony have the best led/LCD tv's out there.

Yeah I went down to Currys today to check out the TVs I have shortlisted. In the store the Sony looked absolutely lovely. Picture quality was great and its a nicely built TV.

However Currys dont seem to have a clue about displaying TVs:p. Most of the others looked crap, including the L42E6B. Not sure what the issue was, because I went down to Argos and they had both the Sony and the L42E6B next to each other and they both looked great.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Sony though, just wish it was a tad cheaper. Though the fact JL do it with the warranty is convincing me to go for it.

First world problems eh?

Don't forget you can ask John Lewis to price match other bricks and mortar stores like Currys

ST60 at Pixmania for £619 with free delivery and 24 month guarantee;

PANASONIC TX P42ST60E - 3D plasma TV | Pixmania

It is the European version which I guess is why its so well priced but they include an adaptor. I can't see that it would be any different otherwise.

I'm quite tempted myself!!!

The ST60 plasma has awful input lag, no good for his gaming needs i am afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom