Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Whats the different type of subwoofers?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by adc2000974, Mar 25, 2004.

1. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear AV Forums Members

I have a wharfedale sw-15 sub and i would to know the differences between that sort of speaker sub and a longthrow.

I think i already know, but i'd like to know which is better.

Regards
    Adam C

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    "Longthrow" refers to the drive unit in the subwoofer. Not the subwoofer itself.

It describes the ability of the cone to move in and out a long way without damage. This requires a rubber roll surround outer suspension to the edge of the cone. And usually a large spider behind the cone to allow sufficient movement.

The importance of the cone moving a long way is the need to move a lot of air. A small piston needs to move a very long way to move as much air (to make very low notes loud enough) compared with a large piston moving only slightly.

Unfortunately simply being able to flop in and out so freely introduces other problems. It requires a very long voice coil and large magnets to keep everything under control. The force on the voice coil is also non-linear as the coil cannot be constantly and fully within the magnet's gap. In poor designs this makes for an ínnefficient driver that requires much more power.

Nimby

3. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good insight thanks.