Whats the different type of subwoofers?



Dear AV Forums Members

I have a wharfedale sw-15 sub and i would to know the differences between that sort of speaker sub and a longthrow.

I think i already know, but i'd like to know which is better.

Adam C


Distinguished Member
"Longthrow" refers to the drive unit in the subwoofer. Not the subwoofer itself.

It describes the ability of the cone to move in and out a long way without damage. This requires a rubber roll surround outer suspension to the edge of the cone. And usually a large spider behind the cone to allow sufficient movement.

The importance of the cone moving a long way is the need to move a lot of air. A small piston needs to move a very long way to move as much air (to make very low notes loud enough) compared with a large piston moving only slightly.

Unfortunately simply being able to flop in and out so freely introduces other problems. It requires a very long voice coil and large magnets to keep everything under control. The force on the voice coil is also non-linear as the coil cannot be constantly and fully within the magnet's gap. In poor designs this makes for an ínnefficient driver that requires much more power.


The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom