whats the difference ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by stevesxm, Aug 24, 2012.

1. stevesxm

stevesxm
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i need a 51" samsung plasma for a client. samsung offers 4... pn51e8000 ,7000, 6500 and 550. when you pull up the comparison on their web site there are 3 pages of about 60 lines and there is NO differences at all in any of them...

all the same resolution, contrast, features and all else... there are maybe 4 meaningless elements that are not the same... 1 has an extra usb port, another an extra hdmi... but in a functional sense, they are all identical. the 8000 is 1800 $ the 550 is 900 $ .

what am i missing here ? please.

2. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    well the top mode is the e8000 and the lowest is the 550 the e8000 has talk stuff so you can tell it what to do, also has a built in filter on the tv to help against relection and also has a dual core processor
    as they go down they have less not sure on the 7000 but the d6500 is getting good reviews has a single core processor and anti glare filter fited. the e550 has the same just no filter and also does not have the extra calibration setting of the higher spec models like colour management and 10pt white balance(but at some point i expect there will be someone who finds out a way to unlock them on the e550) like they did with the d550( so it means you have an e6500 without the reflective filter)

3. stevesxm

stevesxm
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the antiglare filter is meaningful but what does the dual core processor do ? is that picture related or wi fi related ? reviews have the pic quality at a 9.6 for the 6500 and only a 9 for the 7000...

4. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Im not really sure to be honest, to me when i looked at the d8000 d6900 and d550 the picture to my eye was the same and the reflective filter for me was not worth the extra money, also the e8000 should calibrate better than the others but will you notice it i doubt it.

5. stevesxm

stevesxm
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this will be my 4th big plasma for clients... all have been the 63 and 64 " and the 7000 series and am quite happy with all of them but never noticed the price disparity until i needed this 51.. interesting... i have the pn64d 7000 myself and love it. thanks for the insights.