• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats the difference?

Sparky83

Established Member
I want to have a network attached HDD, i have a mac and was looking at getting the time capsule, but i have an external HDD already which i'd plug into the time capsule too.

Im not worried about backing up and that but want my movie collection available over my network. The time capsule has a 1Tb HDD that i don't really need, so should i get the air port extreme instead? What are the differences between the 2 other than one has a built in HDD and one doesn't? As there is a reasonable difference in price.

thanks

Shawn

next010

Distinguished Member
Well the transfer speeds are probably faster with the Timecapsule vs a Airport/USB setup.

If planing on serving up those movies to movie players that are not Mac's I would lean towards something else from the likes of QNAP instead as Timecapsules have a reputation for flaky samba support and Apples file protocol (AFP) is not supported by most network media players. QNAP NAS don't come with a HDD but will do samba better than a Timecapsule, also does AFP and Timemachine backup.

If your not going to be using anything other than a Mac to play the files then the Airport should be okay.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom