1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Suzie, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Suzie

Suzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having still not decided on which all in one to go for, can anyone tell me the real difference between the Pioneer NS-DV 99 & the NS-DV990 - apart from an extra '0' AND £200?
    Is the 990 really 200 quid better or are the speakers just a little more funky?
    And secondly, for anyone with a Sony DAV-SC6, can the shorter speaker stands for the rear speakers be used for the front speakers? And if so, what height will that put them? ( height restrictions in my rack!), or can you change the height that they are connected to the rear of the speaker?
    Sorry for sounding like a dithering div, but I am a woman after all!

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The more expensive model with the extra '0' has better speakers. I've not heard either system so can't tell you if the difference in price is merited but both models are highly rated and I've seen no comments suggesting the cheaper model sounds as good as the dearer model. Its evil in a mild way but you really ought to seek out a demonstration somewhere of the two models and then buy which ever cheaper online.

3. Suzie

Suzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice on getting a demonstration. There's a place near me so I'll give them a call to see what they can do. Cheers.

4. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    You can reduce the sc6 front speakers on their own stands to about 20'' tall app. I have the 99 and as Bonzo said both are highly rated. Whether you can hear £200 difference is debatable.what is certain is you can adjust just about every parameter to suit your preference on them both. There is anther pioneer the1000 which was about £400 more than the 99 and that was not rated as good as the99

5. Suzie

Suzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jaymac. It sounds like the Sony speakers may just fit the space I have afterall. Day off tomorow so it's 'make your mind up time' Thanks again for the info guys.

6. Tentenths

Tentenths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do let us know of your final decision.

7. Suzie

Suzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to listen to the 99 and 990. To my ears there wasn't much difference. The speakers on the 990 do look fairly cool in the flesh though!
    However, after much deliberation ( and not being able to choose betreen these two ) I eventually went for the Sony DAV-SC6. This sounded excellent and had the looks too.
    Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
    Suzie.