1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the Difference MARANTZ PM7200 And KIS ver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BuBBa_FaT_aSS, Feb 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm taking my NAD C372 back to local Hi-Fi shop ( NAD to heavy bass aint controlled enough for my liking)..anyway they have a MARANTZ PM7200 AMPLIFIER GOLD which I like the looks of for £330, they also have the MARANTZ PM7200 KIS AMPLIFIER GOLD can someone please tell me the difference between these two amp the KIS ver is £500 quite a bit more.

Speakers I have are MS 906

I'm off tomorrow to have a demo of them so would like to know if the extra £170 is worth it.

Thanks for any feed back

BuBBa

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I would go for the KIS, but, with your MS906's, I'm not sure you will hear that much difference.

You may need to go up a speaker level or two before you realise the difference between the two models. If you are not going to be upgrading your speakers for a long long while, then I think the standard PM7200 will be fine :).

The MS906s are a bit bass heavy anyway, so I'm thinking a different type of amp altogether would suit more, as the Marantz is very warm and laid back, and may add even more bass :eek: Something like this: http://www.avland.co.uk/roksan/kandyamp/kandyampmk3.htm

Would suit more maybe, bit more pricey I know, but not bad, and will suit the MS906's well.

3. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quike reply Kazman

Yeah the MS906 are a bit bass heavy but with my old amp Techinics A900mk2 the bass was controlled no boom effect. I won't be changing the speakers as just got them as a complete Home cinema upgrade, The amp you mention does look sweet but

http://www.practicalhi-fi.co.uk/index.asp?Session=468424899

dont have it listed.

Anything else you could recommend off there site in the £400-£500 bracket.

Cheers again

BuBBa

moff work now bbl

4. ThEdUkE748

ThEdUkE748

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep def need a speaker upgrade m8 :D

5. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get stuffed duke I aint getting rid of the speakers :nono:

btw theduke is a m8 (well was) :thumbsup:

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
  7. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kazman

But they don't have any Denon AMPs. I went back yesterday and now have home demo of Marantz PM7200 and Marantz CD7300 till Saturday morning.

The sound seems better BUT still not right , I asked what the misses thinks her reply was sounds bit mufflled, to a point I agree. Listening to new U2 album and can say the base does feel bit ott and boomy(in class A mode and normal mode).

So I'm at a point of not sure what to do...Do I take the Marantz back cd player aswell and see if I can get my money back or keep the amp and cd player and look into new speakers????...arg all i wanna do is relax and listen to me tunes.

Some other info about my system that might help

Interconnects I use are QED Quinex 2

Speaker Cable Bi-wire Gale XL315

I really appreciate any feedback as I'm sarting to get abit down with it all :suicide:

PS Reason I got the Marantz CD7300 coz the guy in the hi-fi shop said it was more than likely be the source that was causing the problem, was using Technics SL-PS840 cd player.

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hmm, I'm thinking it is the speakers mate, they could be too big for your room. What are your room dimensions?

The reason the Technics didn't highlight this is probably because they weren't powerful enough to drive the 906's fully.

I'm thinking, sell the 906's, and get these: http://www.avland.co.uk/quad/12l/index.htm

They will work well with the PM7200. The CD player is a cracker, so it is up to you if you wish to keep it, it will certainly be a step or two up from the Technics. The PM7200 is a very laid back amp though, very smooth, the NAD C352CT may be worth a listen too.

I think the problem lays with your speakers though, the 906's need a LOT of space to breathe and be really effective, otherwise they will be too bass heavy and in your face. The Quads would be ideal, from what I can tell to be your sound preference.

9. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick reply

Room Size

25 Feet in length

16 Feet In Width

Which I thought was quite big its L shaped room.

Quads look nice bit over my budget though :(

What about the 11L version more in my price range.

Would like floorstanders really but if bookshelf speakers will sound better for my room then would go for them.

Pitty its the speakers just finished off getting the centre rear bipola and sub 309

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    You could try smaller Mordaunt Short speakers? I would suggest the MS914's, but they might cause the same problem. There could be another issue too, room acoustics.

Another thing to try is to move the 906's further from the walls. The Quad 11L's would be brilliant speakers, but they don't go as low as the 12L's, saying that, if you have already bought the centre and rears, then it probably is a better idea to stick with the same brand of speaker.

Your room is large enough for the MS906's, so I'm thinking they are just not right for you, everybody has a different preference of sound, some like lots of bass from their fronts, and some don't. The MS914 is a lovely speaker (I used to have a pair), I'm also guessing they will be better controlled than the 906's. What model numbers are your other speakers?

11. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite allot of pm7200 owners have found that particular amp benefits from some extended use. I would leave it on maybe with a radio station playing for a few more days yet before you decide on a speaker upgrade.

Do a search here or over at the Hifi Choice forum to see what other owners have found.

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    This could also be an issue, but it shouldn't need too much bedding in time. I still think it is more to do with room/positioning/speakers though, especially considering the NAD amp did the same thing :(

13. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I think you may well be right. I think bringing them away more from the walls will help some but if the speakers are bass heavy anyway then moving them will only improve things a little. Spoke too soon me thinks :D

But keep using that Marantz it does get better.

14. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help

model Number is 906-HM 0404 0272

Got them from richer sounds

I don't mind changing the 906s for better sounding speakers if they do em in marple

I have had the amp on for a few hours with the cd-player playing on repeat nothng seems to of helped.

I have just tested my Eltax Liberty 5 plus and its deffo the speakers the Eltax sound so much better clearer so I think I found the fault should be happy but not really coz now gotta try sell these and find speakers that work well with Marantz .

15. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are not to close to the wall as they are on either side of the TV and the TV is set in the corner of the room.

Any other speakers I could look at around the £300 mark that would work well with the Marantz, Also am I better looking at bookshelf speakers on a set of stands or stick with floorstanders.

Thanks again for the info really do appreciate it.

BuBBa

16. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Those Quad 12L's would be perfect and do the PM7200 justice, but you may get a slight tonal difference with your centre speaker. From what I can remember when I changed my MS905C to a Quad L Centre while still having MS914 fronts, I did notice a difference with movies, when there was a lot of frontal sound panning going on. The wife didn't notice it though :confused:, so it depends on how adept you are at picking these tonal differences up.

You should get a tidy sum for the MS906's to put towards the Quads, and remember, rrp can always be challenged if you ask the dealer for a discount :) I always recommend asking, never does any harm. Later, when more money is saved, you can change the centre to the Quad L Centre too, if you feel the need :). The 906's are very good speakers, but are room sensitive, unfortunately, you have one of those rooms that they don't like :(.

Other speaker options to try? Wharfdale would be a good choice, maybe some Monitor Audios, but not sure how the MA's will work with the PM7200. Acoustic Energy do some nice speakers, but again, I think if the Mordaunt Shorts didn't work in your room, the AE's may be a similar character. My personal opinion (and this is not because I have them......well, maybe a little bit :D :devil: ) is that the Quads would bring your system to life :D

17. CosmosD

CosmosD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have got the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo3's running with a PM7200 & CD7300 in a smaller room than yours and have always thought they sounded great. Haven't heard the MS or Quad speakers though. Where have you got the speakers positioned? I have found that the bass can be over emphasised if the speakers are in a corner or the room.

18. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah speakers are in the corner of the room either side of the TV, But the Elatx libertys sound fine in the same spot and I also tested the speakers buy moving then into the middle of room still sounded same.

I've plugged the Eltax in now and put the MS906 on ebay.

Hopefully get enough to then look at the quads :thumbsup:

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    If you sold the Liberties too, that would make more money for the Quads ;) :D

EDIT: Just got your PM, I reckon you should get about £300 for them if they are less than a month old. I think you should try the classifieds here before fleabay though :)

20. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol

I tried no bugga wants em :confused:

Been looking at the quads now do I look at the floorstanders or Bookshelf with good stands. good thing is local store where I got the marantz demo from have the quads in :clap:

21. BuBBa_FaT_aSS

BuBBa_FaT_aSS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just updating you

All this messing about it turns out that the tweeters on both MS906 had blown took them back to richer sounds and got myself new set and now they sound awsome. :thumbsup:

BuBBa

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    EXCELLENT :D glad you got it sorted :D

23. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad that was sorted i was confused as i now have 7.1 using 6 Tannoy R2 floorstanders front ,rear ,and side , because i wanted them all matching ,with a BK 200 sub and big revolution centre. and find no booms in my room at all,.just great sound clearas a bell .and my room is aprox only 21 ft x 13 ft .think it depends on your amp Pioneer vsx1014 and speakers ? the tannoy are very slim foorstanders and yet dont boom at all honest .so i wonder if it is to do with the kit as well as the room size ,tis fine in my smallish room real surround sound, Anbnett.

24. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Thought you had one of those Tannoy R-SUB15 monster subs and were very impressed with it?

I did think it may be the tweeters, but usually one can tell straight away if they are blown, the difference is night and day, I used to have a pair of Eltax Symphony 6 speakers back in the day, and when the tweeters blew the sound was extremely dull and no definition at all. Shouldn't happen out of the box though :) and with it happening out of the box, poor bubba had no reference to what the speakers 'should' sound like :(

Hope you are enjoying your Pioneer matey :)

25. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi kas yes i was impressed with it but it was too big for the room WHEN i added the two extra tannoy revolutions to make 7.1, well not too big as much that itwas 50 cm and would not fit in the room i needed something smaller 30 cm was all i could fit in the space between a cupboard and the fire place as the extra tannoy revolution or the left side one anyway claimed the space where the tannoy sub sat, so what to do , i had the devil :devil: of a job knowing where to put the tannoy sub and there was just no place to put it now, only thing to do was to think about no sub or a 30 cm sub, so i researched and found a Bk 200 on e bay £220 said it was seconhand but when it arrived it was NEW! im 99% sure and the seller lived in the same location as the bk factory,, strange that ,and his reason for selling was he bought two but found he only needed one! so sorry if this is going in the wrong forum is it ? but you did ask ! well its not as pokey as the tannoy sub this Bk but it will do and it fits have not played around with it much yet :clap: so there you are sold the tannoy sub to a mate for the cheap price i paid for it , might say if the tannoy sub had fitted after getting the extra R2 s i would have kept it i think/ it was a beast and did not boom imho rgrds Abnett. Whew ! :thumbsup: Oh the pioneer 1014 is to my ears more than good, Oh hope your enjoying your new purchase by the way. :smashin: