• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats the difference - cylinder Vs cube

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Whats the difference / benefit of a cylinder sub (such as the PC12 NSD) and a cube sub (SB12-Plus)

Both seem to be around same price, is there any benefit of one over the other ?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Hi, the PC12NSD will go a little lower than the SB12+ and takes up a little more floorspace, it will also have less distortion when played back at louder volumes according to the SB12+ & 20-31PC+ (replaced by PC12NSD) subwoofer tests here ...

Index to Subwoofer Tests by Manufacturer/Model - DVD Plaza Forums :smashin:

I suppose it really depends on how loud you listen and the room size the sub will be situated :)

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I doubt the shape of the enclosure (between cube or cylinder) will have any real impact on the performance of the sub (the components etc. it is made up of will have far more impact). The only difference will be how the shape looks in your room and whether you prefer a cube or a cylinder.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that
So seeing as I have a fairly good sized room and not bothered about how things look I would be beter off with the cylinder

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that
So seeing as I have a fairly good sized room and not bothered about how things look I would be beter off with the cylinder

Yes, pretty much, although have you considered the PC12 ? a little taller, more expensive but quite possibly worth it :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom