1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference between "upsampling" and "oversampling"??

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dynamic turtle, Jul 28, 2004.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Answers on a postcard......

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Arcangel,

I'd also like to read an article in favour of upsampling! Clearly Theta have taken a view based on their research, and whilst I'm not challenging their approach, I think it would be healthy to hear another POV.

Anything on the Perpetual Technologies website? :laugh:

DT

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As you've no doubt seen,the Perpetual Technologies website is basically just an internet sales site,since that was taken over by AV123...a pity,since the original site included a good bit more detail.

Oversampling,in it's various flavours,seems well covered in that Theta reference given above,but many others refer to upsampling in the sense that P.Tech do,as increasing the word length of basic 16bit 44.1KhZ Cd data to 24 bit,and increasing the sample rate to 96kHZ and above.
    The "missing "data is then interpolated according to whichever manaufacturer's algorithm is being used.
    Whether or not you believe the reasoning and the theories is a matter for debate,but the results of listening to things like the P1A/P3A have been pretty good in terms of what various reviewers and buyers have found.

Obviously,i'm biassed,having been a fairly early UK buyer,and I've been very pleased with detail,control,and general sound of the 2 devices....the DAC on it's own is good,but with the interpolator/upsampler,it's a different thing entirely.....the Stereophile review,and HiFi News reviews cover that gorund very well also.

Hope that helps a bit.