Question What's the difference between the various Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition headphones?

EntryLevel

Established Member
Reaction score
I've previously been using the Sennheiser HD201s at home (now dead) and JBL Tune 600BTNC mainly in the office, but now looking to pick up a wired, probably open-back set of headphones that are a bit higher quality.

From reading around a bit, I believe the Beyerdynamic DT990 fits my budget (~£150) and would work for my mix of casual music listening (rock/metal) and gaming.

I recently picked up an Audiolab M-DAC Mini (needed a compact means of managing multiple inputs at my PC), so will be using that as my headphone amp.

The question I have is: they seem to come in a number of flavours (32, 250 and 600 ohms), how do I chose which one is right for me?

Thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

Lower Ohms requires less power to work effectively. E.g. Plug a pair of 32-40 Ohm headphones into your phone and you'll probably get an decent with a decent level of volume. Now plug a pair of 250 Ohm headphones in and you'll barely hear any sound. Higher Ohm headphones require more power to run effectively. You would need a dedicated headphone socket or separate headphone amp for 250 Ohm.
As it happens, I use a pair of DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) with my PC. However, if I were buying now I would be looking at Phillips SHP9500 too.

As always, YMMV.

Thanks @grajey that was kind of my understanding, but I'm yet to work out how you tell if the headphone amp in my DAC is more suited to the 250 or the 600. The converse to your example would also be true right? An overpowered amp into a low resistance headphone would always be loud.

As I'm purely looking for a home/desk based headphone, not concerned about mobiles, I'm assuming the "safe" option is to go for the 250?

I did read a bit about the Philips SHP9500, and seems equally suitable, but I can't seem to find anywhere that has it in stock at the moment unfortunately. As an aside, I read the 990 Pro is basically the same as the Edition (excluding styling and coiled cord) but with a firmer head pressure. Have you felt that at all?

There is no safe option!

The Phillips SHP9500 are 32 Ohm headphones as opposed to the DT990 at 250 Ohm.

Therefore the DT990 will always need to be driven via an amp. Probably any headphones above 100 Ohm, maybe slightly less, will benefit from being driven via an amp.

I have not had a problem with head pressure and the cups sit comfortably over my ears without pressing.

I believe the SHP9500 are available from amazon.com at a shade under £100 shipped.

Now where did I put that can of worms?

The converse to your example would also be true right? An overpowered amp into a low resistance headphone would always be loud

No. There's no such thing as “an overpowered amp”
That's what a volume control is for.
A higher powered amp just gives you the ability to drive a wider range of headphones of different impedance.

JayCee said what I was aiming at.

The M-DAC mini will drive whatever you choose.

Headphones, as with many things, are subjective. Your head shape and size, your ears, your hearing range.

Buy the headphones you want rather than what someone is telling you to buy. We are all different.

Whichever you decide to try give them time to burn in. I've not really been one for thinking of that much before but I recently bought some nice headphones and when new they sounded (to my ears) best through a small headphone amp. After probably 20 hours (not the 150 the manufacturer suggested) they sound much better direct into my amp.

Question to the others on the thread does an amps speaker power always have a relationship to how they can drive headphones?

Thank you everyone for the advice. I manage to find a set of the Sony SHP9500 for under £100 delivered from the US. They arrived earlier this week, so just trying them out now.

So far they sound great (to my untrained ears) running them from the M-DAC mini. I'll keep in mind your point about running in @MaryWhitehouse thanks. They're also so much more comfortable than my other on-ear/closed backed headphones, so good for the current long days sat working from home.

Oh OK, so did I.
I'd had an eye out for a while and after posting that in this thread I decided to order a pair, from Amazon USA.
They have arrived today.
I'm not going to compare them to a well worn-in pair of DT990 pro. Too soon.
However, they are well made, comfortable and I do like the jack input. I am considering a v-moda mic to avoid the dual cables I currently use when on the PC with the DT990s.
Very pleased so far. Additionally, the supreme FX software I use on the PC identifies the SHP9500 as headphones under 65Ohm:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom