• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats the difference between HDMI Players on ebay etc and the Tosh HD E-1?

S

sigibbons

I know nothing about High Def DVD players.

I see loads of DVD players on ebay etc listed as HDMI, HD etc. How do these compare to the Toshiba HD E-1 that i hear alot of people talking about?

Batch

Prominent Member
Most HDMI players will simply upscale normal DVD's whereas the HD E1 will play HD DVD's

S

sigibbons

Most HDMI players will simply upscale normal DVD's whereas the HD E1 will play HD DVD's

So the HD E-1 is the only machine that is a true HD player that will play HD DVD's?

And all others that say HD etc are just a hopped up std DVD player? I cannot afford the HD E-1 yet so what technology is best for me using a Toshiba LCD TV?

Thanks

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
HD of either format will look better than upscaled Standard Def. DVD's.

There are alternatives to the Toshiba, such as the Xbox HD-DVD addon for about £130 if you already have the Xbox 360. Or there is Ebay and the Sales forum, where you will probably find players, as the next generation is released.

HDMI is not HD, HDMI is simply a digital connection many HD users are using component or even VGA connections. It is debatable if HDMI is any better than these 2.

Toshiba have released 4 players in the US and 2 are being released in the UK, so not just the E1. Oh and there are several BlueRay players, from samsung, sony and panasonic... but they'll probably be over budget ;)

S

sigibbons

HD of either format will look better than upscaled Standard Def. DVD's.

There are alternatives to the Toshiba, such as the Xbox HD-DVD addon for about £130 if you already have the Xbox 360. Or there is Ebay and the Sales forum, where you will probably find players, as the next generation is released.

HDMI is not HD, HDMI is simply a digital connection many HD users are using component or even VGA connections. It is debatable if HDMI is any better than these 2.

Toshiba have released 4 players in the US and 2 are being released in the UK, so not just the E1. Oh and there are several BlueRay players, from samsung, sony and panasonic... but they'll probably be over budget ;)

Thanks for that!

I dont have an Xbox 360 and cannot justify the price of a true HD or BlueRay machine. From about £400 upwards is what ive seen?

Whats my next best option now?

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Ebay and sales forum or start saving... :D

TBH, I wouldn't bother spending a decent chunck of your budget on a SD player just now... HD is here and it's going to get cheaper, if you can't afford a HD player now, I'd wait till you can.

Of course if you must get a SD player, then I'd check out the SD player forum here. http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41
You should find what you're looking for there, but go for good quality rather than a good spec ;) IYSWIM

S

sigibbons

Ebay and sales forum or start saving... :D

TBH, I wouldn't bother spending a decent chunck of your budget on a SD player just now... HD is here and it's going to get cheaper, if you can't afford a HD player now, I'd wait till you can.

Of course if you must get a SD player, then I'd check out the SD player forum here. http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41
You should find what you're looking for there, but go for good quality rather than a good spec ;) IYSWIM

Thats the thing really, i want to watch dvds but ideally want to wait for HD, so i may get a supermarket special that will do untill then.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom