1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference between closed-back and open-backed headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by simon33, Jun 10, 2005.

1. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me out here?! :)

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very easy to explain.....closed back phones are literally that...the back is enclosed,isolating the ear from the outside,and cutting out extraneous sound,as well as sealing the phones to the ears,and a good example of this type would be most of the Beyer phones.

Open...the back of the phones is open to air,and does allow external noise in,but these are often lighter to wear,and offer a different sound quality to closed back phones...Sennheiser's designs would be a good example here.

As to which you prefer,or which give the best sound quality....that really does come down to personal taste,and budget,as each can offer equally good quality,as well as suitably high prices at the top end.

Like most of the longer term users here,I've had both,and prefer an open backed set(Sennheiser 600) but,as I said,there are a large number of excellent closed back phones as well.

If you were thinking of investing a reasonable amount of money,do as much research as you can first,shortlist a few good examples of each type,and be sure to set some money aside for a headphone amp to get the best out of them.