Whats the difference between an nVidia 6600 & a 6600GT when in an HCPC?

D

DaveP

Well, TBH it's about forty quid!

I have just changed from AGP to PCI-E and so I need a new card. I was going to buy the forums favourite the Gigabyte 6600GT. Whilst searching for the best price I found the passive cooled 6600 for almost £40 less.

As I have no intention of ever playing games and just need it to drive my Sony PJ can I save myself a few quid?

Your advice would be much appreciated as I'm not technically aware of the different requirements for the different purposes, apart from the speed.

Thanks

Dave

I know there's a difference between the internal memory bandwidth of the two cards have but I'm not sure how this would impact on HCPC use.

My dad has a non-GT version and it plays the hidef trailers we've tried perfectly. I'd be interested to hear if people think there's a difference as far as HCPC goes.

Hi,

I have the Gigabyte 6600 std Heatsink and its great for HTPC use. The only difference im aware of is the GT is better with games due to different memorey and extra core and memory speed.

Just ordered myself the Gigabyte 6600 fanless 256mb AGP jobbie.

Hope it arrives soon, can;t wait to give it a go.

Currently running a GF4 TI4400 with a large added Zalman GPU cooler, from around 3 years ago. Works a treat, but need something faster these days. :D

Ordered from Dabs.com, they have some stock due in soon.

Was trying from Ebuyer, but they don't have any stock, or indications of when it will be due.

DaveP: Just got an email from Dabs.com saying shipped today, so I'll be able to give it a run tomorrow night. :D :thumbsup:

Cost me £89.63 inc VAT & delivery.

ReTrO said:
DaveP: Just got an email from Dabs.com saying shipped today, so I'll be able to give it a run tomorrow night. :D :thumbsup:

Cost me £89.63 inc VAT & delivery.

I too have chosen the Gigabyte fanless 6600 but the 128Mb version. £70 inc vat & P&P.

Dave

I guess you guys have nice new PCI-E mobos then. Mine is just a humble AGP model. :)

I would stick with your 9800 Pro for now.

Wait until the 7800 series or next one after the x800 become affordable.

Incidentley, my mobo decided to go pop on me last night, so now I have no USB or kb/mouse inputs working. The PC runs fine otherwise, damn annoying. All I can use it for at the moment is a TV, with my DigiTV card.

Got a PCI USB2 card on the way.

Thanks for your reply, ReTrO. The reason I ask is because I need a GFX card with component output that will give good gaming performance and fit into my Shuttle SFF machine. The ATI dongle doesn't seem to work with my 9800 and JVC HV-32d40. :(

The Gigabyte GF 6600 has a component dongle, not used mien, or likely too.

Better news, I have a Belkin USB2/FireWire PCI card in my PC now and my dead USB ports aren't a problem now. Phew. Was worried I would have to click OK to install drivers, which I couldn't do. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom