What's the difference between an LED and OLED TV? - article discussion

Nice article Steve, a pleasure to read.

I guess that we could say that the real LED TVs are OLED TVs. However, this will add to the confusion.

Manufacturers are to blame for no using a common language for all these terminologies. Even a particular technique like local dimming has a different name depending on the manufacturer.

I suppose the jump to from CCFL to LED did require some sort of name change. TFT had to be renamed to something, and LED was the logical name (due to actually using LED in the production of the picture).

Maybe when OLED was released they should have named it something completely different.

Having owned a OLED for a few days the difference is huge, if you are buying a TV now, go view one in a darkened room! You will very quickly be sold.

I'm pretty sure we knew OLED was in the wings when LED TVs were named, so as you said in the article, only themselves to blame. I guess the other option would have been to name OLED something else ? "free samples to AV forums members" sounds good ?

Nice article. Not too techie - I followed it.

Thanks

MB

V. good article.

I think your graphic showing the uniform back-lighting v local dimming v OLED for an image of the moon pretty much illustrates the differences between the technologies and the benefits of OLED in a way that doesn't require any technical knowledge - the image is clearer and brighter!

Now if only I could actually afford to buy a 60" OLED TV...

*EDIT: Article updated to include mention of this. Thanks Steve :smashin:

@Steve Withers

Hi Steve, thanks for another helpful and informative article.

I don't know if you feel it's a non-issue or something that will be eradicated over time but I had a play around with the flat panel (non curved) LG 4k Oled in Currys yesterday and it clearly suffered from black crush compared to the other TVs alongside it that were showing the same footage.

The remote control was available so I went into the picture options and cycled through the different modes and it was the same for all. I've read that Oled has a problem displaying detail at just above black level - IRE 1-5 if memory serves - and it was very evident. It wasn't as if it was marginal, it was very clearly obscuring a significant amount of detail.

I had a look at the extra processing modes but everything was set to low (dynamic contrast etc) so wouldn't have had that much of a bearing. Brightness was 50 and contrast quite high (can't remember the exact figure) which I assume to be factory settings. I was left with the impression it is a flaw inherent to the technology atm and that trying to correct it could have a detrimental effect in that the brightness would have to be turned up to a level that would start to washout out the image overall.

It was a very significant issue on the set I viewed, to the extent that it'd stop me buying one as it stands. I can only conclude that it's as big an issue as clouding, haloing etc that are mentioned in relation to LED LCD and really ought to be included in the article in order for it to be seen to be providing an all encompassing reflection of the tech.

That's no criticism though as it's a very informative piece and I appreciate you having come up with it as it's very helpful and AVF are one of the few sites that delve into this type of thing in more detail. It's just a suggestion that, based on what I witnessed, I feel could complete the picture. (no pun intended)

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
I reckon that's one of the best things I've read on AVF. Ever.

Now if only I could actually afford to buy a 60" OLED TV...
You could have any size you want as long as it is 55'' or 65''. :)

It doesn't help when ULED is also available!

To be fair, what else could they have used for them?

LED LCD would be what (because as the article states, that's not very catchy)
OLED would be what
ULED would be what

Plasma was great because no other tech. had that "name" (apart from guns in 90's FPS games).

This article should be compulsory reading for everyone who works in an electrical retailers.
Very well explained.

LED LCD would be what (because as the article states, that's not very catchy)
Perhaps, Thin LCDs, to make them look fashionable.

This article should be compulsory reading for everyone who works in an electrical retailers.
Very well explained.

They should put posters of it up in every TV aisle... but then you'll still get those who claim "they're only saying that to sell OLED" :rolleyes:

Vielen Dank, Herr Steve Withers. As Roohster says in #10, all sales staff should read it. I also like the embedded links to other topics, like High Dynamic Range.

@Steve Withers

Hi Steve, thanks for another helpful and informative article.

I don't know if you feel it's a non-issue or something that will be eradicated over time but I had a play around with the flat panel (non curved) LG 4k Oled in Currys yesterday and it clearly suffered from black crush compared to the other TVs alongside it that were showing the same footage.

The remote control was available so I went into the picture options and cycled through the different modes and it was the same for all. I've read that Oled has a problem displaying detail at just above black level - IRE 1-5 if memory serves - and it was very evident. It wasn't as if it was marginal, it was very clearly obscuring a significant amount of detail.

I had a look at the extra processing modes but everything was set to low (dynamic contrast etc) so wouldn't have had that much of a bearing. Brightness was 50 and contrast quite high (can't remember the exact figure) which I assume to be factory settings. I was left with the impression it is a flaw inherent to the technology atm and that trying to correct it could have a detrimental effect in that the brightness would have to be turned up to a level that would start to washout out the image overall.

It was a very significant issue on the set I viewed, to the extent that it'd stop me buying one as it stands. I can only conclude that it's as big an issue as clouding, haloing etc that are mentioned in relation to LED LCD and really ought to be included in the article in order for it to be seen to be providing an all encompassing reflection of the tech.

That's no criticism though as it's a very informative piece and I appreciate you having come up with it as it's very helpful and AVF are one of the few sites that delve into this type of thing in more detail. It's just a suggestion that, based on what I witnessed, I feel could complete the picture. (no pun intended)

Thanks,
Paul

Hello Paul, perhaps you could consider cutting and pasting your post on to the LG EF950 discussion thread, either the review thread or the owners' thread (or both?)

Hello Paul, perhaps you could consider cutting and pasting your post on to the LG EF950 discussion thread, either the review thread or the owners' thread (or both?)
You're welcome to do so mate. I'm not sure I want to though as I know the type of flame wars it can lead to. :rolleyes:

Steve thanks for another great article.

It would be interesting to see in which direction the technology would go.

Better to say in which direction the manufacturers would push :cool:
(I hope that for the good of consumers)

So is there an option out there with a real beefy thick panel that has all the latest tech, which is not compromised by this 'thin' fad. I am quite happy to have a fat LCD if it does not compromise excellent quality of picture with superb blacks...

Reading owners threads on both camps the problems with OLEDs seem to have been washed over a bit. Tinting, vignetting and near black problems. Also the comparatively limited colour space was mentioned then dismissed a little too readily I thought.I have 4 grand waiting to give a manufacturer but I don't think OLED is there yet. Maybe next year's models.

If they can resolve the issues with oled, ie black crush, ir/sb, yellow streaks/pink tint, dark edges (vignetting?) & response times then I will most likely buy one because no matter how many LCD LED TVs I try, I just cannot get to liking the image. I've tried quite a few including Sony HX853, Sony W905 & Samsung F8000 as well as good mid range LG & Samsung models. A family member also has a Panasonic AS802 so I've seen all the best 1080p models available.

Admittedly I haven't tried 4k but having had a good close look in-store the make up of the image still has that LED LCD 'look' that to my eyes lacks depth and solidity. This is just my personal opinion and I don't want to irk any LED LCD owners.

I do want to move away from plasma due to higher power consumption, ir/sb and lower brightness levels and hope the issues affecting Oled can be eradicated.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for a very interesting and definitive article. Having an OLED TV myself, I often find myself having to explain the difference between an OLED and a (so-called) LED TV but now I shall just refer people to your article, which explains it much more eloquently than I ever could.

Thanks again, Martin.

So is there an option out there with a real beefy thick panel that has all the latest tech, which is not compromised by this 'thin' fad. I am quite happy to have a fat LCD if it does not compromise excellent quality of picture with superb blacks...

Hear hear!!!

I do want to move away from plasma due to higher power consumption, ir/sb and lower brightness levels and hope the issues affecting Oled can be eradicated.

Sadly, you (and I) have no choice now, there ain't no plasmas being made any more! So my next television, in January, will be a Sony LED-lit LCD.

You're welcome to do so mate. I'm not sure I want to though as I know the type of flame wars it can lead to. :rolleyes:
Phew!

Excellent article, the diagrams and illustrations were really useful too. Thanks.

To be honest, I'm mesmerised by picture quality of panels these days compared to what we had even 10-15 years ago. The pace of evolution is astonishing. Personally I'm not overly concerned watching TV in a dark room, I always watch it with ambient light and so LED-LCD is the more practical and affordable option for me as I want a larger screen. The advantage being that LCD panels should be cheaper now as OLED is being pushed. Horses for courses as always.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom