Whats the difference between a normal scart lead and a RGB one ?

Marin

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just got a new Samsung LCD 32" TV and connected my NTL box up via the RGB scart port on the back of the telly. I appreciate the picture and colour will need some adjusting to get the optimal settings for my surroundings but i am unsure as to weather i have a RGB scart lead or just a normal one? it is a big thick black cable with lots of pins inside it, will a different scart cable give a better picture ????

Thanks

A fully wired scart will carry RGB anyway, provided the output of the equipment (say a Sky box) has RGB enabled.

Generally, when people talk about an RGB scart, they mean that only the RGB wires are connected and therefore no audio is carried, requiring separate leads.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Martin.

Generally, when people talk about an RGB scart, they mean that only the RGB wires are connected and therefore no audio is carried, requiring separate leads.
RGB Scart can also mean just a fully-wired Scart, as opposed to some cheap ones that are not fully wired (and hence don't support RGB).

does this mean it is possible to have an rgb scart output going into a rgb phono inputs using a scart to rgb cable? and from there could i take the rgb phonos back to rgb scart using a scart to rgb cable?
it just that my dvd player has rgb scart, my amp has rgb phonos and my screen has rgb scart

Hello all

Marin - lots of variables to confuse everyone when it comes to SCART cables.

If your Outputting RGB from your source you need to also ensure your Display is set to 'receive' RGB - otherwise you may still be viewing Composite video.

As others have said a Fully Wired SCART cable is capable of carrying an RGB signal - along with Stereo audio.

An RGB Only cable will usually use four core cable with thicker conductors and better screening and can result in a better signal on-screen - though its not guaranteed.

You can also get RGB+Stereo Audio cables that use a six core cable to give you the best RGB transfer plus Stereo audio.

sam_roberst30 - that's way too confusing a description :)

If (as I suspect) your talking about the three colour coded RCA sockets on your AV Receiver (usually marked Y,Pb,Pr or Component) then no these are not generally useful for RGB signal connectivity.

RGB is in fact RGB+Composite sync so requires a minimum of Four lines to work.

If your AV Receiver is capable of simultaneously switching a YPbPr (Component) Input + a Composite video Input then you may be in business.

Best regards

Joe

I have 8 Scart cables in a box. Can anyone advise me how best to determine which of them are 'fully wired'? The best idea I've come up with is to try and send RGB from DVD (set to RGB out) to TV (set to RGB in) through each of them in turn, chucking out the ones that don't give me a picture. TIA.

I have 8 Scart cables in a box. Can anyone advise me how best to determine which of them are 'fully wired'? The best idea I've come up with is to try and send RGB from DVD (set to RGB out) to TV (set to RGB in) through each of them in turn, chucking out the ones that don't give me a picture. TIA.

Or just use a simple circuit tester. A battery and a bulb would suffice.
Just test one of the RGB pins, and that ought to indicate it is RGB wired http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scart

RGB Scart can also mean just a fully-wired Scart, as opposed to some cheap ones that are not fully wired (and hence don't support RGB).

Having acquired a vast number of "free" Scart cables that came with equipment over the years (enought to circle the world 3 times :) ), I have never come across a Scart that wasn't fully wired.

Perhaps I have been lucky (not that you would describe scart ownership as lucky... :rolleyes: )

A lot of free SCARTS may well be rubbish with unscreened conductors though. A proper SCART cable will contain 9 mini coax cables inside (each one a central conductor surrounded by a screen). A rubbish one will just have a bundle of 18 wires.

Open up the plug at one end to check. An unscreened one will cause all sorts of serious signal quality issues, most noticeably picture ghosting.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom