• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats the difference between a class 2 and 10 card? Both with same read/write speeds

eddywatson

Standard Member
Hello

I have just seen a Sandisk SD card that is 16gig and was a class 2, it had 15mb/s read speed and 9mb/s write speed. and it cost £30

Then I seen an Luxor (class 10 I think it was) 16gig card again with 15mb/s read and 9mb/s write speed and it cost £80

If the read and write speed are the same... why is there a huge gap in price? or whats the difference between the 2?

thanks

shotokan101

Banned
Hello

I have just seen a Sandisk SD card that is 16gig and was a class 2, it had 15mb/s read speed and 9mb/s write speed. and it cost £30

Then I seen an Luxor (class 10 I think it was) 16gig card again with 15mb/s read and 9mb/s write speed and it cost £80

If the read and write speed are the same... why is there a huge gap in price? or whats the difference between the 2?

thanks

Sounds odd - can you post links to the two cards ?

Jim

eddywatson

Standard Member
I was in the new Currys/PC World this afternoon looking at 3DTV's lol and I seen them on the shelf. Then I asked the geeky bloke in the shop what the difference was and he said nothing.... :S

D

Deleted member 27989

It is all about guarantee, I bet one is quoting peak transfer rates and the other is quoting sustained. Oldest trick in the book. The class system works such that speeds must be no less than guaranteed.

Me, I prefer uhs-1 cards :)

nheather

Distinguished Member
I suspect it is a cut and paste error (or ignorance) by the retailler.

Perhaps he didn't have info for the Class 2 so just copied it over.

The other thing to be careful of when transfer speeds referenced is whether they are MBps or Mbps - 8 times different.

(note that at 15mbps it will take 8.9 minutes to transfer 1 byte of data - sorry, being anal)

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
I suspect it is a cut and paste error (or ignorance) by the retailler.

Perhaps he didn't have info for the Class 2 so just copied it over.

The other thing to be careful of when transfer speeds referenced is whether they are MBps or Mbps - 8 times different.

(note that at 15mbps it will take 8.9 minutes to transfer 1 byte of data - sorry, being anal)

Cheers,

Nigel

"Oh NO It Won't" ;) - I guess you've missed a word out before the "byte" :lesson:

Jim

boltoa

Established Member
"Oh NO It Won't" ;) - I guess you've missed a word out before the "byte" :lesson:

Jim

Oh yes it will.

I suspect he was referring to the "m" as in milli- and the "M" as in Mega-. So 15 thousandths of a bit per second is a bit slow. About a minute per bit.

Misinterpretation for comedy effect ftw :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom