1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the diff between PS DVD's and PS projectors?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rusty, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Rusty

Rusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering getting a new DVD player and have been almost completely swayed in the Philips 963SA direction (i.e. progressive scan). However, I am also thinking about the Pioneer 656 which isn't PS.

However, if (when I eventually do) buy a projector, I get one that says "DCDi by Faroudja" or similar on the front, what would be the point of already having a DVD player with the same Progressive scanning (as I believe the Philips one does). Or are the benefits greater if the DVD player is the one doing the PS.

I'm confused!

2. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a good idea for the Philips DVD player to incorporate some form of PS.

All video projectors incorporate some level of de-interlacing, but cheaper models often have poorer quality de-interlacing. Besides, although everyone would love to buy an £8k+ video projector, not everyone can!

Many people own projectors that do not cost this much so a DVD player that goes some way to de-interlacing its output is quite a desirable feature. It means that the projector has less work to do in producing the image.

Hope this helps.

P.S I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong on anything!

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    In theory a DVD player with built in de-interlacing will be dealing with the direct digital information from the mpeg decoder chipset(although even this is not always the case).

The projector will be dealing with an analogue signal. It will have to digitise this then work on this converted info. So by using a progressive DVD player you remove one D to A and A to D conversion. Whether this makes a difference depends on the projector and DVD player in question of course. I can see cases where using analogue interlaced output from a DVD player could outperform the progressive from another DCDi chipped DVD player......

Gordon

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    presumably this is the reason an SDI player fed directly to a scaler/deinterlacer is an attractive option

5. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I have a sim2 DMF projector with DCDi by Faroudja and use to use a toshiba sd210 dvd player that only provided interlaced signal.

This seemed great, nice color and virtually no jaggies. Yesterday I upgraded to an arcam dv88+ dvd player with progressive scan.

In interlaced mode the arcam makes the picture far more detailed and colorful. When I put on the progressive the results are amazing - it eliminated all jaggies and kept the detail. Perhaps the ineterlaced mode has slightly better color but I prefer the progressive mode in any case.

A good scene to see jagged edges is in gladitator when the chariots are racing around the collosuem - just after one of the gladitator gets a spear in his chest up close.

In interlaced mode their are jagged edges around the colosuem wall - in progressive mode there are none.

I hope this helps. - maybe the idea is - if you have a projector with DCDi by Faroudja then you need a good dvd player with progressive to better it?

CaM