1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the dealy with input 2?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Boy Lex, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I was up at the dish yesterday (finally getting round to getting it a bit better positioned on my makeshift bracket (see other thread!)). Very scared of even little heights so I didn't want to stay up there too long! :eek:

I had my spare digibox at the window and a little portable tv plugged into it that I could see while I was moving it around (much cheaper than a sat finder ;) ). I moved the dish around and I was getting 80% signal strength and about 75% quality - which I decided was fine. Just to be sure I checked all the outputs of the quad LNB and they all showed the same.

Plugged in the sky plus and input 1 shows the same as my spare, but input 2 shows 50% stregth and 100% quality. :confused: I tried switching aroung the cables at the LNB - stayed the same. The only thing I didn't do wihch I might do tonight as a test is swap the cables at the sky box to see if it's in the cable (seems unlikely tho). I've just noticed other threads with people having input 2 probs. Is it just the box being funny or does it genuinly have a poorer signal for some reason?

2. freddyuk

freddyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm no expert but with a quad LNB the pick up horn is trying to recieve the signal from four slightly different angles so only one can be 100% the other three would be compromises.I expect one of the experts will confirm or tell me i am talking crap!!

Freddy :lesson:

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Yes - you are talking rubbish !
    I use a quad LNB though not for $ky ; all 4 outputs go to different receivers and PC tuner cards, the whole lot being connected to the horn on a 1.8 metre offset dish (steerable). There is no measurable difference between the 4 outputs (even with a spectrum analyser).
    The horn's output feeds all 4 the same, confirmed by the user swapping leads at the LNB.

It is possible that 1 of the cable runs is poor, or has a poor connection at one end or the other.

Chris Muriel (currently in Limerick, usually in Manchester)

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll swap the inputs at the box over tonight and see if the signal streghts swap over. Am not getting any drop out on any recordings tho. Anyone know what the lowest is it can go without breaking up?

5. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are getting 100% signal quality, LEAVE IT ALONE. Signal strength is not as important as quality. I have seen boxes with a strength reading of around 25% and no problems. You will suffer picture break up if the quality reading drops to around 30%.

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that... I'm getting sig strength of about 85% on input 1 and about 50% on input 2. Quality is about 75% on input 1 and 90% on input 2. Just out of interest I swapped the cables over... The readings stay the same, so I guess the cables are fine and dandy, it's just the box/software being a bit weird?

I promise I won't touch it!!!!

7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    had sky plus installed a while now and my input 2 is exactly the same..

8. Russ_64

Russ_64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my Sky+ 160 (new Thomson box) installed about 2 weeks ago. The installer was a sub-contractor, they just installed the box and changed the LNB to a quad. They had to update the firmware to get any signal on the 2nd input and then called Sky to update my subscription to Sky+ (because this takes about 2 hours they didn't show me how it all works, they were gone in less than 1 hour).

That same night I tried to use the Planner and found that there was no signal on 2nd input, called Sky+ and went through the whole reboot / housekeeping / rebuild planner - still nothing. That was Thursday evening, they sent a Sky engineer on Saturday am to replace the box. He said they are having a few teething problems with these new boxes (only 3000 in the field) anyway he sorted it out and went away. Next day, Sunday I get a call from 2nd Sky engineer that he is on route to check the box! He duly arrived and check my box and signals (said the dish needed to be re-aligned - 1st said the signals were fine).

Since then I have either a full signal on both (about 80% strength and quality) or 2nd drops to 60 strength / 10 quality or 2nd is gone and no lock. Have rebooted it twice to get the 2nd signal back.