1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the deal with TV resolutions?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by living_forever, Mar 15, 2003.

1. living_forever

living_forever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a noob techie and being in search of a good TV, I really need to know a little more on the subject of TV resolutions. All the advertisements I see do not give the specific resolution (pixels) of the TV but many a time I read articles where TV resolution is explicitely mentioned. I basically want a TV for DVD's and my XBOX. So any info or links to articles would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All TVs offer the same actual resolution of picture [apart from HDTV but that's not available in the UK yet] - it's more a case of which set interprets that resolution best. Some sets try to "enhance" or "improve" the picture with Pixel Plus (Philips), DRC (Sony) etc - but the actual resolution is the same [numerically 720x576 pixels for PAL]. It's a case of finding an image you like best. Make a checklist of your needs and do some searching on these forums.
    Your checklist might include:
    1) your budget
    2) available space [which will dictate maximum tv size]
    3) widescreen or not? [essential for DVD]
    4) suitability for XBox [possibly fast moving graphics]
    5) how important is the sound quality?

happy hunting!

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add to the checklist:

connections [number of RGB Scarts - DVD and Sky Digital should have one each for best quality]

4. living_forever

living_forever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've shortlisted down to buying a RPTV, so what hi-res technology(s) should I look for?

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My knowledge of RPTV is almost zero (being a CRT man myself). If I were you, I'd start a new thread titled something like "RPTV advice needed!" There are plenty of RP types on this forum.

cheers