What's the deal with only EQ'ing below Schroeder frequency?

VHS Gamer

Established Member
Reaction score
I started hearing about this Schroeder frequency through an Audioholics video a while ago but didn't quite understand it then. I understand how it's basically an understanding of how low frequencies react differently to the room compared to midrange and treble, which the effects of those on the room are minimal. Anyways I hear people saying to only eq under 500hz and leave everything else untouched. My question is, why, and what is better? Through the multieq app do I limit its functionality to only under 500hz or let it go full range, any pros and cons of each?

I started hearing about this Schroeder frequency through an Audioholics video a while ago but didn't quite understand it then. I understand how it's basically an understanding of how low frequencies react differently to the room compared to midrange and treble, which the effects of those on the room are minimal. Anyways I hear people saying to only eq under 500hz and leave everything else untouched. My question is, why, and what is better? Through the multieq app do I limit its functionality to only under 500hz or let it go full range, any pros and cons of each?
Set up two multi eq files from the same session of Audyssey measurements.
Then have one file eq full range and the other under 500hz (300hz is closer to Schroeder).
Load one to your AVR, have a listen to something you know quite well, load the other and repeat and rinse as long and as many times as it takes you to make a decision either way.

I’ve experimented with this a little and much prefer full EQ. Guess everyone’s room and equipment is different though so suggestions that you try both for yourself is good advice.

Thanks guys, so I guess there really isn't any definitive answer then, Main reason I was asking incase there might have been. Another thing, Audessy Reference curve, does it have anything to do with this Schroeder frequency at all with its treble dip?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom