Whats the current status on progressive scan TV's here in the UK?

bananas

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Sony 9000es player, and im just about to upgrade my Toshiba crt 32" tv, but just before I settle on the new Toshiba 40wohb rptv (which has the component inputs but alas no progressive scan) is there any other options to me??

It seems that id have to buy a good plasma or projector to gain access to the elusive (to the UK anyway) progresive scan feature.

Whats going on here!! Why do the US have a vast choice of progressive scan crt, rptv's in sizes and budgets to please all, when the UK doesnt??

It seems crazy that Sony and Toshiba can release their top DVD players with progressive scan capabilities, yet wont support them with Tv's?

Both Toshiba and Sony dont have any progressive scan sets here, Sony dont even have any with sets that feature the component inputs!! (not even the Grand Wega), although in the US, both Toshiba and Sony have a version of nearly every set (crt and rptv) with progressive scan..
Arrggh!!!
Is the UK being left behind YET AGAIN??

Please tell me that progressive scan sets are just around the corner...

[This message has been edited by bananas (edited 23-01-2001).]

Banana's: The US has Hi-Def TV now. This standard can have output resolutions which are progressive in nature, or high bandwidth interlaced (720P, 1080I). So, TV manufacturers develop units that can show up the improvement this standard offers over NTSC.

In the UK we have no progressive resolution TV standard, nor is the DVD standard currently. Yes, there is PC usage but not many folk attempt to plug their PC in to a TV. Hi-Def sets are sold in small quantities in the US and they have the software! I'd guess that the manufacturers aren't keen on putting, expensive, unnecessary parts in the units they sell in this country. Perhaps once Hi-Def takes off in the US we'll see the UK and Europe getting scaled down versions of their sets.

Gordon

------------------
StereoStereo
Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

Thanks Gordon..
That makes sense, but of course I havnt any plans lately to introduce HDTV over here....
Think how long THATS likely to take!!
Doesnt bear thinking about, does it.

*sigh*

Originally posted by bananas:
Whats going on here!! Why do the US have a vast choice of progressive scan crt, rptv's in sizes and budgets to please all, when the UK doesnt??

Progressive scanning is not an issue with the general public, 100Hz flicker free and more 'living room friendly' bigger screens are. In Europe the 100Hz systems have brought us more stable flicker free images from PAL video and line flicker reduction and in some cases, motion compensated frame rate up-conversion. So the benefits of, and need for, progressive scan (even when done very well) is much less obvious than it might be for markets such as the USA. They also have the DTV and HDTV standards to live up to in the market place even if it's only 480p 60Hz.

In Europe it will most likely be only the very small proportion of consumers who really appreciate the benefits of progressive scanning and perhaps also wish to use a PC as a video source who will demand such a TV. The manufacturers and their marketing departments are unlikely to have a massive attack on such a minority of consumers with a large range of relatively expensive TVs just yet.

But I feel there will be more progressive scan TVs available over the next 12 to 18 months. Those that exist know will most likely be ammend to allow for progressive scan component inputs and more flexible frame rates. Progressive scan display technology will filter down to our market eventually just like it has with the DVD players.

It seems crazy that Sony and Toshiba can release their top DVD players with progressive scan capabilities, yet wont support them with Tv's?
[/QUOTE]

You will notice that no CE DVD player manufacturer in the UK is making much marketing capital out of the progressive scan feature. When they modify their US players for their new UK range, such features as progressive scan just tags along with it. The feature is not a salient part of the UK spec.

I am in the identical situation where I want to take advantage of component
outputs on my DVD player (to be progressive scan later on). Most of the big
players are putting component outputs on their DVD players, some are progressive
scan capable. Plasma and projector are the current mainstream PS capable
devices. Toshiba (and perhaps Metz) do a few examples of component input TVs but
no PS on these component inputs. PC VGA inputs may be PS compatible on some uk
TVs (Loewe and Metz) but most DVD players don't have VGA outputs (need PC). Ask
question about PAL PS possibilities you get met with blank looks. All I am after
is the potential bandwidth data. This situation is just plain daft. PS Toshiba
DVD players and no PS compatible displays!! Sony even worse as per usual. Most of the
major players seem to be launching new models in the next 3 months (36 inch
Toshiba coming with component inputs but don't know about PS). If you don't want
plasma / projector hang fire for a few months, surely the big boys supplying TVs
can't be this stupid?..or can they?

Component input that are PS capable in PAL / NTSC is a required (essential)
specification of a new display device for me. I am sure I am not alone. I am
only after component and S-VHS inputs on my new display device. If I opt for a
Toshiba with component inputs I loose the S-VHS input!! Yes I know we can get
S-VHS on the Scart / Euro socket but I don't connect my system up like this! I
have S-VHS cables hanging around.

Yes. I think poor rip off Britain is being left behind again, unless any
manufacturer can hint at something new on the horizon. It might get you a new
sale??

Try to hunt down the SAMPO 36" CRTV (flat screen), that should be PS compatible and can be fitted later with a HDTV tuner (so at the moment it's a monitor only).
Won't be cheap though ....

BTW: Here in Malaysia you can get DVD players with component output and quite a few TVs with component inputs, but no PS and worst, there are no widescreen TVs available.
(Though plasma displays are ...)

------------------
If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 30-01-2001).]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom