1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the current situ with the PT700 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ray, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Calling all Panny 700 owners !

Thought I was sold on the HS50 but just to be sure I'm having a demo of a PT700 this week. £300 cheaper and just as good as the HS50 according to some - but then there's the VB! The trouble with demos is that you don't see the problems (VB, white flashes) that happen 3 months down the line.

So what is the current situation with the PT700? Those of you that have had the firmware upgraded to 1.07 - has VB dissapeared completely or just 95 %. Any other benefits of 1.07 ?

I also wonder how common VB is. There are lots (according to UK and US forums) of happy PT700 owners out there. Is VB a common problem which just goes unnoticed by the great unwashed but picked up by the discerning viewers that subscribe to these forums ? Or are you guys that have had VB problems just the unlucky few ?

In the meantine I'll get a demo to make my own mind up and insist on 1.07 if I do buy one.

And then there's the HS50 demo to look forward too :smashin:

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers Ray :) :)

PS It's taken me 20 mins to type this - too much vino blanco !

PPS My Cantons and HD945 are due this week :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    From what I've seen VB can afflict any of the machines based on the Epson panels ie 700, TX100, Z3 etc.
    By the looks of it the 700's early firmware made it more afflicted by VB than the others but at a guess the newer version probably puts it on a par. VB can vary from being totally absent to pronounced and annoying, though usually it's either not there or so slight that it doen't detract. Many things affect it such as the DVD you are watching and even the way you switch the unit off/on. I can also appear one night from nowhere, then be absent the next.
    I think for the majority who don't know about VB they don't even think about it even though it may be there to some degree.
    On the TX100 you can go into the factory menu and you can see the VB appear then fade as you make adjustments. This is a nice touch and I don't think any of the other units afford this sort of control (though it's fair to say that some people have failed to completely cure VB on their TX100 even after much fiddling in the factory menu).
    To be honest if you can afford the HS50 I'd go for that, if you wanna save some wonga go for the TX100. Not to say the 700 isn't a fine machine, but it's tough to justify its price premium over the TX100.

..PJ :)

3. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Had my 700 for 6 months now and never seen VB.

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Seen it a few times when I was out looking for it on my 700, has become much better with latest firmware and I havnt seen it since.

5. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    explicitlyrics - do you have a hi-def Xbox setup into your 700? If so, is the 480p banding problem fixed with the 1.07 firmware?

I see you're in NW London (like me), where did you get your 700 updated? Locally or from the place you bought it?

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I sent it off to Panasonic (collected and delivered and fixed free of charge). I have got the official Hidef pack and the xbox is modded. I have never seen any problems at all with banding on the xbox in any resolution so cannot help you there. The only time I can see it is through scart and Sky+.

7. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    My XBox looks just like senseless' from this thread