1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats The Current Position With Dvd Recorders Plz

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jez, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

I am not really upto date with this, so wondered if someone could help. I appologise if this is the wrong question for here just wanted some people's opinions

Is it at the postion Betamax and Vhs were between Sony and Panasonic or has that been sorted out?

Got some dvd-r 1-4x 120 min dvd's for xmas if i were to buy a dvd recorder would they work?

Is now a good time to look into getting one, or not?

Cheers

happy xmas

2. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jez and merry christmas to you!

I guess now is a good a time as any to buy a DVD recorder, as prices have dropped because of the cheap recorders now on the market. The DVD+/- format thing is not really resolved but you will probably find it of little importance, as they both work on most DVD players anyway.
    I see you have got DVD- discs, which means you have narrowed your search down a little. If you are willing to spend £200 or so, you can get the Pioneer 220 machine, which is quite highly rated on most forums. Have a look around and see what you can find. Remember to make sure it uses DVD- discs if you want to go that way.
    You are pretty much assured that you will get a good few years out of a machine until possible market change and as things are moving so fast these days, you may find your needs have changed by then.
    Considor the Panasonic, Toshiba and Pioneer range, they are all quality suppliers in this format. Sony is overpriced and can be problematic. Lite-on, Philips and cheaper brands tend to support the + format for recording.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Niburu-I have to say you have changed your tune a bit since you popped over to the DVD+RW forum and started asking questions about me and my attitude toward Philips.Glad to find you have seen the light.
    Merry Xmas

4. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou Niburu detailed and interesting explanation.

Is it really worth it for me to buy a dvd-recorder as i dont really do that much recording and what i do i just use my vhs?

Would it be better of saving up for a progressive scan dvd player, as i have recently got a Sony Kd28-Dx200 tv and assume i would be able to take advantage?

Oh yeah whats this blu-ray stuff all about.

Thanks again for your input.

:)

5. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Merry Xmas to you too Phelings.

Its not really a matter of changing my tune, rather than being a bit more objective. The Philips range and + machines are ok for some people and not others. Given the progression of the DVDR market, it is easy to see that other brands have taken the recording market to levels I would like to have been made available when I purchased my 880. It suits my needs currently but as I gain knowledge and confidence, I can appreciate that DVDR should be more flexible and robust than the current levels I am enjoying. The positive is that many people who got Philips machines have moved on to bigger and better things (possibly yourself) and that is great to first time users who have more technically minded.
    I hope in a year or so to replace my Philips with a more capable machine and I shall certainly look at the Pioneer and Panasonic as a first choice (the Pioneer seems to offer more for the money)
    The friendly banter seen on many forums erupted due to market fragmentation and now that the market is maturing, it is becoming apparent that latter suppliers are producing the most flexible equipment.
    Happy holidays....

6. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jez.

If you are happy with VHS, it won't hurt to hold back for a while and see whats going to happen. Yes, a progressive scan DVD player is a good idea but again, if you hold on a while, you should be able to buy a DVD recorder with the same feature.
    I don't know enough about Blu-ray to comment but from what I hear, its a new type of laser technology. I doubt very much we will see this level of change for some time, given the growth in the current DVD market.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) are the next step in the world of disc recording.However,the format war with those 2 makes the DVD+ versus DVD- war look like a picnic.
    The 2 formats are totally incompatible with each other and already movie companies are split with their allegiance to one or the other.
    Its not good for the consumer and its uncertain what may happen.While BR looks to have more support,and Sony will be basing the PS3 around Blu-Ray,HDDVD may get the support of Microsoft just to counter the PS3 with their Xbox version.I would get a dvdr now.The way things are shaping up in the HI-DEF world means that current formats are going to last a lot longer than they should do.
    The technology is there now at a good price-use it

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you just want to replace the facilities of your VHS machine, just get the smashing wee Panasonic DMRE55.

Not only is it a really simple, really good DVD Recorder, it is also a superb Progressive Scan player. £179 if you shop around..

'Wee Buns' as we say in Dumfries.

Jimmy

9. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not at all. You can quite safely purchase a DVD recorder safe in the knowledge that it's media will continue to be available for years. Indeed the DVDR market is more akin to the solid memory card media 'formats' (such as SD Card, Compact Flash etc) than to the 80s VHS versus Betamax battle. Ultimately all DVD recorders will play all DVD-Videos and will record onto highly compatible write-once media (be it DVD-R or DVD+R) - so there is nothing that could make your machine a Betamax.

Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer and Toshiba seem to be the current favourites on the board (for very good reasons)!

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Jez,

HD DVD recorders will only be limited to using single layer 20GB discs. Blu-ray will be able to use dual layer 50GB discs. Both formats should be available in Europe in 2006.

Steve