1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the contrast ratio of a good TV

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Roland @ B4, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can any one tell me the measured contrast ratio for a standard (as in 28") TV?

I ask this here because you chaps are more technical.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks mate I was kinda hoping for a number but good coments.

I have seen projectors actually measured at.

CRT PJ 1000:1<br />LCD PJ 400:1<br />DLP PJ 600:1<br />TV = ???????????

I can't find a sensible figure here and I suspect it is high but just wondered if any one knew.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well far as I'm concerned the contrast range ( difference between lowest perceivable/detectable luminence and highest luminence on a CRT is normally assumed to be around 1:1000. I suppose those figures you quote make sense : black point on LCD higher than DLP which is higher than CRT correspondingly limiting the "contrast range" of each.

Like I said I have little regard for the digital chassis most manufacturer's churn out and would recommend you steer clear of 100Hz or other digital implimentations and stick to 50Hz especially on a 28incher. I favour the panasonics with regard to contrast range ( got a PK1 myself) but there have been reports of moire problems on a fair amount of these. Sony's should be immune from moire by virtue of the trinitron tubes but I find they're not as accurate with regard to chroma or colour temp and they go a bit nuts on their SVM.