1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the cheapest DVD recorder (any format) with i-link?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dude1971, Sep 25, 2003.

1. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning guys

Been reading all the threads on here, really enjoyed the debate about + and -, but still confused as to what to buy! I have 2 friends with Philips recorders, and they say that apart from being faulty (twice on both of them) they still prefer them to the Panasonic's (they had them on loan while their Philips were away being repaired).

I'm looking for a recorder with i-link as I have a camcorder. I don't want anything with a hard disk as I work in the I.T. industry and I know how troublesome hard disks can be> I don't have a burning desire to watch stuff before it's finished recording, quality of DVD playback is very imporatnt (as is ease of maming it a multi region player).

What do you recommend? Budget under £500 please :)

Regards

Dude

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    If you want an iLink recorder you have a number of options all priced around the £300 to £350 mark:

JVC DMR1 (DVD-RAM, -RW, -R)
    Pioneer 3100 (DVD-RW, -R)
    Panasonic E60 (DVD-RAM, -R)
    Philips DVDR75 (DVD+RW, +R)

If you can stretch your budget to £545 the ultimate solution would be the Panasonic HS2.

Assuming you don't want to stretch your budget though then I would hold fire for one month after which time reviews of the JVC and Pioneer models will be available - especially if you want to record to high compatible re-writeable media. If that's not an issue (which it isn't for everyone given that DVD-R has near universal compatibility) then the E60 is an excellent choice.

3. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The Panasonic DMR-E60 is not only a DVD-Recorder, but also has a PC Card slot, an SD Card slot and an i.Link (a.k.a. FireWire, DV) input. The recorder lets you record DVD discs in two formats – write-once DVD-R and rewriteable DVD-RAM. The finalized DVD-R discs play in most DVD players, whereas DVD-RAM discs can be played in newer Panasonic DVD players"

I foudn this on a review for the E60. Should I be concerned that only newer Panasonic players will play the DVD-RAM discs? I guess I could use the Ram for day to day stuff and use the DVD-R for the final edit (I need to send camcorder footage to family overseas).

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    It depends if you want to share what you record on DVD-RAM disks. From early next year any new DVD player you buy from JVC, Toshiba, Samsung or Panasonic will play DVD-RAM disks. Additionally most of the 2004 Thompson models will play them. Of course this does nothing to improve compatibility with existing machines.

DVD-R is the best choice for sharing recordings as it offers near universal compatibility (96%+). The downside is you don't get the editting facilities you get with DVD-RAM.

Using DVD-RAM for timeshifting and DVD-R for archiving/lending copies is what many E50/60 users do.

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The only problem is for those recordings made on RAM which you later wished were on -R, this is why I bought the S75, not so good if you want to share the moment, eg the footy on a Monday night.
    Rasczak please read PM re PC upgrade, thanks.
    Ged

6. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the new machines can read DVD-Ram, I can record stuff on that then get a new player and make copies of that then?

My next question, hopefully the last, is should I be alarmed that Argos only sell one brand of -r disc while they have 6 of +r, and they have players from Philips and Bush but no Panasonic players at all? I wouldn't buy anything electrical from Argos, but average man on the street will. Philips might win this war by virtue of flooding the market with +r media.

7. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Take a peak here at http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_Section__DVD_R_RW___DVD_R_RW___DVD_RAM_.html and you will be surprised at the huge range of DVD-R, and compare against +R.

Panasonic DVD-RAMs were sold by Argos a while ago, but they are not now. It is very likely Argos have entered into an agreement with Philips where Philips is giving them a big discount to promote the format over others. Argos even had a TV advert recently just promoting the Philips recorder!

As you noticed, sales of +R media at retail often seem in bigger abundance than DVD-R. However this is because those using DVD-R or DVD-RAM/RW are simply better educated about the formats, hence making a choice other than +RW/+R in the first place. Us better educated folk buy our hardware and media on-line where it is cheaper and not at retail, so it is not so often seen. For example I saw a 5 pack of DVD-R in Dixons, their brand for £39.00 this last weekend, and they wonder way they are not selling any!

Those who blindly stagger into Argos and buy a Philips +RW recorder are very often the same people that will pay well over the odds for the media, it is a rip off.

Regards

Philip