1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the cheapest 3-CCD camcorder on the market?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Duster, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can you tell me what the cheapest 3 CCD camcorder on the market is, and is it any good?

Thanks....

2. Bram1982

Bram1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say the cheapes 3 CCD camcorder is the Panasonic MX500 which is available for 1900 euro's in Europe.

If one would ask "Is it any good?" I would definitely say a big "YES!"

There is only one problem: It's low light performance is honestly not too good. Actually it's the worst of all 3CCD cam's available...

For examples of low light see the following links:

http://www4.big.or.jp/~a_haru/0208_3CCD.html
    http://www4.big.or.jp/~a_haru/exknow2002au/night.html

On another forum I posted three more pictures taken with the MX500 in low light... with a 200 watt light things look OK, but with anything less grain will be noticable.

This however is not a real problem if you plan to shoot outside or if you have a good camera light... It still is a subjective matter, so I suggest to look at as many low-light examples as possible or try the MX500 for yourself if that is possible.

Good luck!

/edit
    Good things about the MX500:

-Best photo mode you can get with a camcorder (3 Mp interpolated)
    -True 16:9 format (not the cut-and-stretch the others have)
    -Optical Image stabilisation
    -Very good image quality when good light is available
    -Of course the low price (for what you get!)
    -Top-loading cassette
    -The sound (for what I've read) is said to be quite good
    -Big 3.5 inch colour LCD
    -Some professional features like zebra patterns

The bad:
    -Not to good low light performance

3. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Sony VX2000 which I bought of the net for around $2200.
    If you want my advice, I'd buy the Sony because if you're going to be spending that kind of money, and you're going to anyway if you want to get a 3 chip camcorder, you might as well put out a
    few hundred more dollars and get what I think if one of the best values for a 3 chip digital camcorder. The Sony actually lists for
    around $3000 retail, but if you search the net you can get it for a
    lot less. Sony does have a cheaper 3 chip camcorder called the TRV950, but it doesn't compare to the larger chips that the VX2000 has, and it doesn't come close to the low light performance of the VX.
    Panasonic also has some low end 3 chippers, but they also don't compare to the Sony. Hope this helps. Tunes Man.

4. gmm

gmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Panasonic NVGS70B has 3CCD's and is about €1200-1300 going by some of the online shops.

5. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duster - I own an MX500, and I can honestly say that the thing that surprised me most on the first day was... the superb low light performance. I was filming indoors with natural light, way after the sun had gone down, and the pictures are fine. I've seen other people's rough camcorder footage, and was very satisfied by the pictures the MX500 produced in these awful conditions - and I'm speaking as an experienced 35mm and digital camera user.

I cannot understand these people who cite the low light performance as a reason not to buy the MX500 - it's absurd. Trying to film things in virtual darkness is going to result in inferior pictures on any camera, which is why anyone serious about quality would be buy a proper video light for these conditions.

Similarly, it is ridiculous to try and judge these things by just looking at some suspiciously unrepresentative pictures on the internet.

Believe me, the features and price of the MX500 far outweigh any shortcomings (I've found none yet), so consider the MX500 with confidence.

6. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Origin,

Thanks for your reply,

I'm really thinking about getting the MX500 now.
    But I just have a few things i'd like to know, is the video picture very sharp, or is it at all fuzzy at the sides? this is a problem of my last DV camcorder.

Is there any colour bleeding? again this is a problem of my last DV camcorder.

Is the video footage nice and bright when played back on a TV?
    Another problem of my old camcorder! Dull brightness

When you say "I was filming indoors with natural light, way after the sun had gone down, and the pictures are fine"
    Do you mean no grainyness, or just a little? Again my old camcorder is very grainy under indoor lighting

Does it have a s-video port?

How does the play back come out on a normal TV?

My footage will be recorded mostly on to S-VHS video recorder.

Thanks again for your reply

7. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I can see, there is no 'fuzziness', and I haven't noticed any colour bleeding. As for brightness, there is no problem at all - if anything the picture is a little too bright, but nothing significant. I guess from your concerns that your old model might have had something wrong with it? I have been very pleasantly surprised that the camera has managed to resolve my baby's extremely fine blond hair, without any sign of jagginess or fuzziness; I can only describe the picture as crystal clear with very natural colour and detail i.e. no noticeable problems. I don't what you're used to seeing, but I couldn't wish for a better picture.

Low light: Yes, the grain does start to show very slightly, but personally I would consider it insignificant. Whether it's a problem depends on what you're used to, and what you intend to use the camera for.

Connectors: Yes, it has a S-video in/out port. It also outputs pictures using a multi-way jack socket on the front of the camera (a jack plug to red/white/yellow phonos lead is supplied). There's also the DV in/out 1394 port, and a USB socket (cable supplied) for taking stuff off the SD card. So far I've only used the phono plugs into the front sockets on my TV, and the picture quality is great.

I would recommend a bigger SD memory card if you want to take lots of stills (16MB is supplied). The extra 128MB card I use holds 80+ pictures at 2048x1496, on the highest quality/minimum compression setting. The only disadvantage for me is that I have to *downsample* all of them so much to make wallpapers for the PC ;-) The built in flash (on auto) lights stills very well, but even so there's complete +/- manual control over the flash output level if you need it...

The feature list is almost endless - you can even turn off the red "tally" LED on the front to hide the fact you're recording. If there's any more non-subjective questions on features or accessories etc., let me know. The feature summary you see on websites doesn't tell half the story...

8. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Origin.

Thanks again for a very good post, I really think I may buy a MX 500 now, it does sound very good.

No, there is nothing wrong with my old DV camcorder, it was just a cheap one (£450). I wont say which make/model, as I dont want a flame war!

Just one thing.
    Check out this post........ and see what you think.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8488