whats the catch?

Seven3840

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking for a phone for my wife to carry, just for emergencies. I spotted these http://www.mobileshop.com/mobile-ph...nt=nav-bar-link&utm_campaign=free-line-rental , free phone free 12 month line rental and free delivery all on a 12 month contract. So being suspicous of anything free, has anyone bought from this site and are they reputable. any input, good or bad would be appreciated.

I've had a number of bad experiences with mobileshop.com - poor customer service and number of problems reclaiming cashback.

In the interests of balance, others have had no problem with them - they aren't as bad as a number of other companies.

Ive been looking for a phone for my wife to carry, just for emergencies. I spotted these http://www.mobileshop.com/mobile-ph...nt=nav-bar-link&utm_campaign=free-line-rental , free phone free 12 month line rental and free delivery all on a 12 month contract. So being suspicous of anything free, has anyone bought from this site and are they reputable. any input, good or bad would be appreciated.

Just wondering what happens after 12 months ?

Do you start paying ?

Do you take out another free 12 months?

Personally i would go for a cheap pay as you go

Or do you guys know different

Thanks for your responses, still not sure which way to go, i think maybe a pay as you go might be a good option though. Are there any good bargains in that feild anyone knows of?

Thanks for your responses, still not sure which way to go, i think maybe a pay as you go might be a good option though. Are there any good bargains in that feild anyone knows of?

One on virgin here for £19.99 http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/payAsYouGoPhones.do

Loads of other deals about just make sure that there is no time limit to your credit.

I use virgin P A Y G myself no probs :smashin:

Thanks Rongood, thats just the kinda thing i need.

Your local Netto is doing a Sony Err for £20 ( looks good too)

I've just ordered a Samsung U600 from Phone 4 U on a 12 month contract with Orange at £35 per month (400mins 300txts) with £420 cashback staggered through the contract (i.e. they pay back the full rental).
I've heard about these before but cannot understand how the companies make money on these ? Can anyone explain?

I've just ordered a Samsung U600 from Phone 4 U on a 12 month contract with Orange at £35 per month (400mins 300txts) with £420 cashback staggered through the contract (i.e. they pay back the full rental).
I've heard about these before but cannot understand how the companies make money on these ? Can anyone explain?

mmmm,i would read the small print in the T&C and follow it to the letter!

Heard some real horrer stories on our local consumer radio show :eek:

Should be ok with P4U though as long as there is no dodgy 3rd party involved

Yeah, I thought that, thats why I got it through phones for u rather than an internet only place. They do have stringent conditions in that you have to send off your bill within 60 days to claim, being a forgetful chap, I'll have to get the missus on the case.
I guess they rely on you forgetting, to make cash, but there must be more to it than that.

Just make a list of the dates by hand in large writing, and photocopy them, and put them up like in the inside of your cupboard and kitchen cupboards.

And also put it on your phones calander :p

Yeah, I thought that, thats why I got it through phones for u rather than an internet only place. They do have stringent conditions in that you have to send off your bill within 60 days to claim, being a forgetful chap, I'll have to get the missus on the case.
I guess they rely on you forgetting, to make cash, but there must be more to it than that.

lol yep thats the way they hope to get it,never liked those deals got enough to remember without any more to think of :rolleyes:

Hi - I may be too late but I took out the mobileshop 12 month free deal for me and my husband and although the payments have been late we have both had the first two payments back - I have to admit to being surprised as I was convinced it was a con.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom