What's the catch ? Hitachi P42H01U

Jon Read

I have seen this 42" HD Freeview 1080p TV on sale brand new for £649. How come ? Is it a poor TV ?

Jason56d

Don't know much about the model, but it is NOT a 1080p panel. Hitachi use a system called ALiS which is I think in basic terms is 2 lots of 540 lines interlaced to make it appear as a 1080i screen. Before I bought my Panny 42PX70 I looked a the Hitachi's and liked them, but personally noticed a slight flickering. For £650 it can't be all bad though..........

here's a link to the Hitachi site for it
http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=585&drilldown=2&urlnumber=0

MonkeySting

Novice Member
Just to clarify, the ALiS panels physically have 1,080 lines, but they are addressed alternately - there is one address line for two adjacent rows of pixels. However, this is not quite the same as an interlaced image produced on, say, a CRT.

Either way, no, this is not a 1080p panel. It's 1080i.

oxman

Novice Member
may get one myself but seems to be sold out as soon as most places get them. willl buy it from tesco so if it's no good got 28 days to take it back.on a thread on this forum there was a link to a french site and the hitachi got good marks for most things

CHFels

This plasma was reviewed in the latest issue of Home Theater Magazine (US), and they liked it pretty well, esp. for the low price. If you would like more info, I can dig it out of the magazine pile . . .

CHFels

oxman

Novice Member
This plasma was reviewed in the latest issue of Home Theater Magazine (US), and they liked it pretty well, esp. for the low price. If you would like more info, I can dig it out of the magazine pile . . .

CHFels
yes m8 can we have some more info on review thanks

CHFels

yes m8 can we have some more info on review thanks
OK, the model reviewed in HT is actually the P42H401, but I suspect it's basically the same TV. Here's a quote from the conclusion:

"Overall, the P42H401 is a solid everyday television. Its detail, color and processing help it perform well with a wide range of sources in various viewing environments, but it lacks the high-end refinement that a discerning enthusiast would desire. That $1700 price point may up the appeal for the average consumer, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that you can find better-performing 42-inch 768p plasmas in the same price range. If you simply must have that 1080 spec, the P42H401 delivers."

Other notes: "Black level and bit depth are just average, which affects overall performance." "HD1080 makes it hard to precisely evaluate the detail and processing, but both appear to be solid." "We measured 0.084 foot-lamberts with an all-black test pattern; that's about twice as high as any plasma we've reviewed over the past year. Blacks . . . looked more gray, and the higher black level limits color saturation and image depth in a dark room." SD processing pronounced solid, but not outstanding. Colors were fine after calibration, suffered from some red push and a big green push out of box. [You may want to d/l the manual and see what controls there are - who's going to spend 300 quid ISF callibrating a 670 quid TV?]

Ignore the list price, in the US it is selling online for under $1200, I even saw it going for under 1K. :eek: that's 500 quid to you.

Hope this helps,

CHFels

oxman

Novice Member
OK, the model reviewed in HT is actually the P42H401, but I suspect it's basically the same TV. Here's a quote from the conclusion:

"Overall, the P42H401 is a solid everyday television. Its detail, color and processing help it perform well with a wide range of sources in various viewing environments, but it lacks the high-end refinement that a discerning enthusiast would desire. That $1700 price point may up the appeal for the average consumer, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that you can find better-performing 42-inch 768p plasmas in the same price range. If you simply must have that 1080 spec, the P42H401 delivers."

Other notes: "Black level and bit depth are just average, which affects overall performance." "HD1080 makes it hard to precisely evaluate the detail and processing, but both appear to be solid." "We measured 0.084 foot-lamberts with an all-black test pattern; that's about twice as high as any plasma we've reviewed over the past year. Blacks . . . looked more gray, and the higher black level limits color saturation and image depth in a dark room." SD processing pronounced solid, but not outstanding. Colors were fine after calibration, suffered from some red push and a big green push out of box. [You may want to d/l the manual and see what controls there are - who's going to spend 300 quid ISF callibrating a 670 quid TV?]

Ignore the list price, in the US it is selling online for under $1200, I even saw it going for under 1K. :eek: that's 500 quid to you.

Hope this helps,

CHFels
:thumbsup:thanks sounds good for the price if i can get one this weekend will post and let eveyone know what it's like.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom