1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the bigger upgrade?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by David Bier, Jan 30, 2002.

1. David Bier

David Bier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon AVR-3300 and Mission 750LE fronts with a 73C centre. I have been thinking of adding an offboard 5-channel power amp, probably the Rotel RMB-1075. My question is whether upgrading the speakers (eg to Dynaudio Audience 52/42C or Ruark Epilogue/Dialogue) would bring greater improvements.

I want to do both eventually; any opinions on which should be done first? One alternative is to totally replace the Denon with a pre/pro combination and tackle the speakers after that. I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,471
    check out my thread "power amp needed?"

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A pre/power combo would be a good idea but AV pre-amps are pretty expensive so you might consider using an AV amp/receiver as pre-amp.
    That said I would add a power amp now and when you have saved enough money ditch the 3300 and replace it.

As for the speakers you must know yourself, add the power amp first and see how they cope.
    Dynaudios normally need a lot of power so a power amp is a kind of requirement here.

4. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im currently in the similar dilema - having the 3300 denon and have just bought the Ruark Prologue and Dialogue - had to buy now as Sevenoaks have them at half price !!!!

Havinf upgraded the speakers to the ruarks from Mission 77's - the Ruarks r a far better speaker - now i just need to update the amp to get the best from the speakers - isnt that always the way.

Im hoping to demo the rotel 1075 power amp (5 channels) in the near future.

Spike

5. David Bier

David Bier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to know what improvement the Rotel makes with the Ruarks already in place...

6. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did see Superfi selling the RMB-1075 for £640 in their sale, which is pretty cracking price IMO. I do agree that good quality speakers can sound pretty awful if they don't have lots of power to drive them, or to state that positively, they really reward strong amplification.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,471
    superfi were doing it for £600 sterling, but i couldn't get that price, as i wanted it shipped to my work address in Ireland, and they were having none of it!!

Only way was UK cheque; but i prefer to have large purchases on credit cards, better protection.

So i'm going to see, if i can get a good deal at the show in febuary.