whats the big hold up on twin tuners?

Loofer 2

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been holding off getting a dvd/hdd recorder untill they come with twin digital tuners but holy god, it's been 3 years since i started to consider getting one!!.

Just what is the big deal holding these guys back? pure hdd recorders have had them for at least 2 years now yet the dvd/hdd market only just started single digital tuners recently.

Are they just milking the market? dripping the technology in as slowly as possible to force people to upgrade often?

Are there any rumours out there of twin tuner stuff on the horizon because my willpower isn't going to hold out for another year!

The problem is that twin tuner DVDRs do not just require another tuner... unlike PVR's, they would also require another encoder... and that hikes the price significantly.

Twin tuner models have been available in Japan for some time...[ at about £1000] but that is a very different market.
Consumers are prepared to put their hands in their pockets for CE products more so than in the UK.

It is probably felt that the market would not stand it here.

There is as yet no hint of any being released here.... and the need diminishes as integrated TV's become more widespread.

Thanks for the feedback gareth, bit confused on the encoder issue though, surely pvr's have the same requirements? i didn't think there was any difference between them and combo recorders apart from the added optical drive.

Thanks for the feedback gareth, bit confused on the encoder issue though, surely pvr's have the same requirements? i didn't think there was any difference between them and combo recorders apart from the added optical drive.

HDD only recorders do not encode the signal in the way that DVDRs have to. They record the bitstream as received. That is why they usually have a slightly better replay quality even when compared with a DVD recording at best quality or SP.
HDD recorders do not do any compression while recording although one or two models can do it retrospectively. There is of course no need for it as the recording size does not have to be adjusted to fit the disk.

Richard

right i see, cheers richard. Might as well dive in and buy something then :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom