What's the Big Deal with Oblivion???

D

Dirk_Diggler

Bought this yesterday due to thinking it was going to be amazing but played it for over 2 hours last night and was not really that impressed with it. Found it quite boring and wasn't too blown away with the graphics. The actual gameplay i also thought was pretty lame. Is it just me or does the game improve the more you get into it???:confused: :confused: :confused:

I guess its just not your sort of game, It stands to reason not everyone is going to like the same thing :rolleyes:

I found it dull too. I guess after playing games like WOW online with real players and far better questing etc, Oblivion seems like a poor cousin.

Many people like it and it is a good game in terms of content, so I won't ever say it's not a good game, just not my thing. Wierd as I really like RPGs normally.

Anotherlimey said:
I guess its just not your sort of game, It stands to reason not everyone is going to like the same thing :rolleyes:

That was the kind of answer i expected but i wanted a bit more feedback. Do you think the gameplay, graphics etc are everything they are hyped up to be. Maybe i just lack imagination to get into it but surely you shouldn't have to use your imagination to enjoy the game.

Dirk in 2 hours you have just literally scratched the surface. It takes about an hour or so to get out the dungeon!.

Give it time mate, go off and do some fun things like stealing, stealth killing, wondering. When your ready start the quests. To get your interest leave the main quest till last and start the fighters guild or Dark Brotherhood (My favourite!), theres lots of killing and the story lines are really good.

Oblivion isnt a pick up and play for an hour, you need to invest time in a game like this. But I must admit its certainly one of the best games ive played on the 360 and without doubt its value for money. Ive invested around 70 hours now in it and still find myself popping the game in for a dungeon run or to level up.

As stated above games like this arnt everyones bag, but if you still want to give it a go. Please be patient and go with it. I promise you will love it and when you finish the main quest the ending is superb.

Good luck!

Dirk

I will back up everything Buffdady says, I was never a fan of RPG's and after a few hours on Oblivion I still wasn't...But now nearly 100 hours into it I can't get enough of it...some of the quests do become a bit repetative but join the guilds and things change a lot......

When i started I contracted the Vampire disease and spent the next fivehours looking for the cure to get rid of it....One small quest five hours later!!!!!

Bear with it mate and once you get into it I think your views may change..

I think the graphics are great...The seasons change, the climate changes the further north you go all adds to what I think (IMO) is a great game...

also just look at the number of replies in this thread to confirm it!!!

Dirk_Diggler said:
That was the kind of answer i expected but i wanted a bit more feedback. Do you think the gameplay, graphics etc are everything they are hyped up to be. Maybe i just lack imagination to get into it but surely you shouldn't have to use your imagination to enjoy the game.

Sorry mate i guess that came accross a little short, Im just tired of people making post along the lines of " Convince me why i should buy GRAW" and "Tell me why i should buy an Xbox 360" etc.

I know what types of games i do and dont like and use IGN Gamespot amoung others to make sure they are up to standard.

Anyway as for Oblivion take Buffs advice and give it a little more time before you sell it, I made a Assasin and exploring a dungeon sneaking around in the shadows and taking bad guys out with my bow is great fun, And as he said the Dark Brotherhood quest line is alot of fun, Perfect for an Assasin.

Once again sorry for being short in my first post, Ill go upstairs and get out of the otherside of the bed :D

Can only concur here - I think it's a pretty game in SD, let alone in HD... you're telling me you got out of the sewers, looked around at the vast countryside and went "bah, not very nice looking is it?" :eek:

As for gameplay, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I'm not an RPG nut and I did find it more immediate than some others I've tried, which helped ease me into the game. Haven't been back to it for a good while because I now have all of the achievements - but I'd suggest 160-odd hours is cracking value for money.

Hate to repeat others but give it time for an honest appraisal.

It's a slow starter, the sewers at the start make for a very dull beginning but the moment you get out of them the game just gets better and better.

It's the total freedom that makes it so amazing, and the fact that other characters in the game are really going about their own lives miles away. In fact it's so real in that sense it can be a problem, some important characters have been known to get themselves killed before you ever meet them! Although a recent patch sorted most of those.

Anyway, give it some time, the sheer vastness of the game is one of the best things about it. Pixel for pixel the graphics arent the best we've seen, but as a whole they look very pretty and it's a special in game moment when you stand on top of a mountain and look down at the sunset over one of the cities, or see bandits fighting guards in the distance.

Totally agree with everyone. It's a slow starter for sure and with the various styles of play, it can be quite easy to fall for a particular fighting style which might be boring to you. For instance, I'm not a fan of melee fighting in most games so I choose bow and arrows in Oblivision (like a FPS) and love that style of play. And once you escape the dungeon and start the main quests, you'll appreciate the sheer amount of stuff you can do in this game and the amount of freedom you have. Like most people say, give it a bit more time. Let it show you it's true colours.

plus captain pickard and seen been do some of the voices :D

As far as the graphics go. When you stand on top of a hill a small distance
from the imperial city and turn to look at it........ well...... me mates were impressed.

andy

I got Oblivion 2nd-hand a week or so ago, mainly because I had some games to trade and there wasn't anything that was grabbing me so I thought "well, if so many people like Oblivion, there must be something in it". I've been very pleasantly surprised. I'm not a RPG fan but I did like Ultima Underworld back in the day and Oblivion feels very much like that to me - I'm really enjoying it and the graphics (in HD) are fabulous in places, they really bring you into the "world".

There are another good couple of reasons why it's working for me too - firstly, you can save anywhere (and it auto-saves for you at key points) which means for people like me that can't dedicate hours and hours at a time, you can dip in and out of the game, do a little bit of a quest, save and then come back to it later. Also, it has a "fast travel" feature which means you can quickly transport back to a location you've previously visited instead of having to slog across the map in realtime (you still can if you WANT to).

I'd agree with everyone's comments here that it does take a little time to get into. I've just discovered the Dark Brotherhood and that's really got me into the game although I was enjoying it upto that point, some of the fighting was feeling a bit samey.

Oblivion has obviously been a labour of love for the developers and it shows - the sheer effort put into the presentation makes it a stand-out game. Definitely one of the best games on the 360 at the moment. Recommended.

Normally I love RPG's and although I did enjoy Oblivion I got so fed up with the load times that I got rid of it :mad:

Got it on PC and played for around 30hrs or so to lvl 8 I think. The quests and the quest system are very poor so far, graphics are so-so. The lvling system is random and I cant find anyway to select a given target from a group so it's just hack and hope. I have joined a couple of guilds but ran into the pittyfull quest system. RPG are my favoured type of game and at least my PC is upto scratch because the graphics suck out speed without reward IMO and one last point the voice acting is laughable.

All in all and after the raving about this game can honestly say I just don't get it :confused: and on reflection got to say it's crap. :D

I bought the collectors edition on release day - and tried so hard to get into it.....but the load times and menu screens along the problem of the hard drive needing defraging or whatever it is called made me give up on it. All I seemed to be doing was going to point a told to then go point b and bring something back to point a.

I can fully appreciate the graphics and work that has gone into this game, and I understand how it has so many fans.

Seems Im more a burnout revenge 10 min quick play gamer than a 2 hours on a quest Oblivion gamer.

I couldnt get into it at all and Im usually into RPG type games. Like someone else said though, I played wow for around 2 years so it had a lot to live up to.

I loved this game and still play it now after 4 months. this one definatley gets better with age.I didn't think it would be my bag but after hearing what a lot of people said on here , i gave it a bash. I think the graphics are great in 46'' HD. The world feels great and they have put a lot of thought in to it.
I would say it was far from crap, weither you like the genre or not.

Seriously I was like you and thought i was dull. But OMG its so addictive!!!!!!! You like go into that world and live it. After a weeks playing i didnt know what world was real and which wasnt!!! ITS AWESOME

I couldn't get into it either, played it for about 3 hours and realised i hadn't actually got anywhere. Just not my type of game i guess, i'd never plaed anything like it before, so it went back and i got Ghost Recon.

When i first played this game i was impressed with the size and the Graphics. I got to about level 6 which took around 15 hours, Eventually i got bored but to be fair ive never been a RPG fan.
My girlfriend had watched me play it and liked picking locks for me. Now what happened next really suprised me mainly cos ive downloaded all the puzzle (girl friendly) games possible and she'd shown no interest, I noticed on here that my gamercard was showing Oblivion as the last played game when id played COD2 last. Rang her indoors to see if it was her playing it and OMG she was:eek: she's now addicted to it think shes about level 18.

Downside is i used to come home (she gets home half an hour before me) and she would have washed up etc and started tea. Now i get home and nothings been done except COD2 has been removed from my 360 and put on the floor:eek: and she has entered the world of Oblivion. :mad: :D

I've never played RPG's....never liked the idea....:rolleyes:

HOWEVER....after over 130 hours accumulated on this game, this level 32 Tamriel Bum Kicker is well and truly converted!!:D

XBOX Live ID MaceTheCat

Rich

It is a great game! I just got fed up waiting for it to load everytime you open a door :boring:

csd7025 said:
When i first played this game i was impressed with the size and the Graphics. I got to about level 6 which took around 15 hours, Eventually i got bored but to be fair ive never been a RPG fan.
My girlfriend had watched me play it and liked picking locks for me. Now what happened next really suprised me mainly cos ive downloaded all the puzzle (girl friendly) games possible and she'd shown no interest, I noticed on here that my gamercard was showing Oblivion as the last played game when id played COD2 last. Rang her indoors to see if it was her playing it and OMG it was:eek: she's now addicted to it think shes about level 18.

Downside is i used to come home (she gets home half an hour before me) and she would have washed up etc and started tea. Now i get home and nothings been done except COD2 has been removed from my 360 and put on the floor:eek: and she has entered the world of Oblivion. :mad: :D
Thats just plain unfortunate. LOL.

csd7025 said:
My girlfriend had watched me play it and liked picking locks for me. Now what happened next really suprised me mainly cos ive downloaded all the puzzle (girl friendly) games possible and she'd shown no interest, I noticed on here that my gamercard was showing Oblivion as the last played game when id played COD2 last. Rang her indoors to see if it was her playing it and OMG she was:eek: she's now addicted to it think shes about level 18.
:thumbsup: That's a great little story. I like hearing tales like this. :smashin:

I think it is a fabulous achievement, and a game that will forever be remembered as a Classic (in the same way that Halo was for Xbox, and Skies of Arkadia was for Dreamcast). It was a labour of love (as previously posted) by the developer and is a trult remarkable game.
Like many, I am not too into the RPG genre, but this game had me hooked. I regretably haven't touched it in months (due to work etc), but have a week off now so am going to continue it.
It took me about 5-6 hours of gameplay to truly get into this game, and I have about 80 hours to date. Even riding around on my horse looking at the views makes me smile.
I would rate it up there with the likes of Elite / Halo / KOTOR / Champ.Manag as an all time classic.
truly inspired piece of programming.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom