1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the better deal?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NewToyForXmas, Jul 27, 2005.

1. NewToyForXmas

NewToyForXmas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've got 2 options:

Panasonic PV500B + pedestal stand + ES10 DVD recorder + delivery £2,329.

Hitachi PD7200 + delivery £1,984.

I'm not all that bothered about the ES10 DVD recorder to be honest but suppose I could sell it to bring the net cost of the Panny down a little more. Both options are through JL so both come with a 5 year guarantee.

What do people think is the better deal? I've read lots of negative comments on here about the PV500, but the magazines seem to love it (putting it on a par with the Pioneer 43") and on paper it looks the better spec. I also have SKY+ so don't really have a need for the freeview but it's a bonus.

My DVD player is the Panny E500 Hard-drive recorder so is there any benefit of having the same manufacturer for DVD and screen?

But the PD7200 seems to be well regarded on here and is cheaper. It also seems to be more future proof in terms of connectivity having HDMi and DVi, and component.

I really want to try and make a decision today, or tomorrow at the latest. I won't get chance to have a proper look myself at somewhere with them properly set up (I've seen them both in JL and the Panny looked better PQ but the feed on the Hitachi was different) so other people's views are important to me. I really would appreciate your help / advice.

2. Kieron

Kieron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,643
    As you already have Sky+, would it not be better to hang on a few weeks for the PW8 HD version?

3. NewToyForXmas

NewToyForXmas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now why did you have to go and do that?!?

So, if I already have a tuner (in the shape of Sky+) then I could / should just go for the panel route? I've been a little wary of that route so far as it seems more complicated but I accept that I am probably wrong there? What else would I need to make it offer the same connectivity as the PD7200 or PAV500? Are there any drawbacks with this approach? My brief research suggests that the PW8 is the same screen as the PV500?

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    It is the same panel as the PV500, but different electronics.
    You will need to buy the input cards you need for it, component, HDMI etc and will probably be more expensive than the PV500, but more flexible and easier to tweak.

5. Kieron

Kieron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,643
    Good advice from Mal above. If you go panel only and are planning on wall mounting and sinking cables then a HD PW8 may well be the way to go. You can purchase whichever input board you need, sink the cables and use your Sky + box as the tuner.

The PW7 has onboard amp for speakers, and I imagine the PW8 to be the same so you can attach your speaker cables to the set and sink those in the wall also.

Then attach some nice small speakers. Plenty of bass in my opinion - at least the same amount from a TV with speakers attached.

Alternatively, take the 5.1 optical out, or phono out straight to a home cinema amp.

The result is a much "cleaner" installation. Sinking cables, a little bit of plastering and a new strip of wallpaper is relatively easy. Just done my PW7 in the kitchen and it's stunning. I'm the biggest critic there is - if I'm happy then anybody would be!