1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the better CD player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Jun 15, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive have a choice of getting a new Musical Fidelity A308cd player for £1500 or an ex-demo Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 3D for the same price of £1500. I have to make a decision soon (on monday) and im not going to be able to demo the Nu-Vista. I already know what the A308 sounds like and impressed with its performance. Is the Nu-Vista a better cd player and would i be better off getting it over the A308.
    Any guidence would be massivley appricated. With the A308 comming out after the nu-vista does it have any better features that the Nu-Vista is lacking.
    Thanks to all those that can help.

2. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone provide a link to the spec's of the Nu-vista 3d. Ive been tralling the net since friday solidly and its proving to be an illusive piece of equipment. I can only find 1 review and another site that has owner reviews but that doesn't really help.
    Any information on this cd player would be greatfully recieved thanks.

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?433

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_128862_1586crx.aspx

http://www.secondbeat.com/html/articles/issue7/fidelity.html

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rdgtl&1038864080&read&3&4&

http://ebay.consumerreview.com/revi...tegoryID=76&ProductID=86322&partnerproductid=

HiFi World Nov 2001 "Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 3D £2960 Amazingly big and bold sounding player that's among the finest around. Definitely different but certainly addictive. "

HiFi News September 2001

The 308 is basically a Nu-Vista without the valves.

HTH

Gus

4. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks:). From what i can gather they are very similar machines. Can i expect a different sound between a valve and none valve? As a general rule is one better then the other?
    If they are so similar i might just get the nu-vista because i think it will hold its second hand value longer.

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    B_M

Either player will sound brilliant, they are about the same quality, the 308 might even be a bit better.

Currently second hand the 308 is about £1400 (£2K new) and the Nu-Vista around £1800 (£3k new).

What are you replacing?

Gus

6. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A meridian 507 is what im replacing. The hifi store is allowing me to trade in my meridian and give them 500 quid and i can take either nu-vista (ex-demo) or 308(brand new).
    Im gonna be picking one of them up tomorrow. The reson why i wanted info on the nu-vista quickly is because they have someone waiting for it if i dont want it (kindley they gave me first refusal) but they need an answer before close of business today, thats why im unable to give it a demo:(.
    I just wanted to make sure that i do pick up the better machine as im getting them for the same cost as its got to last me for atleast 10 years or until it breaks cause after this purchase im not going to get another standard cd player again.

7. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

Don't think you can say one is better than the other without a decent dem.

They are both basically designed to sound the same. MF reckon the 308 is a Nu-Vista without the valves and with 95% of the performance.

I have read UK mag reviews of both but have not heard them head to head. The recent review in HFN reckons the 308 is better.

The 308 is the newer design, I would guess the Nu-Vista would hold it's value as it was a limited run but as you say you willl keep it 10 years then that's not really important.

Not much help but in the end only you can decide.

Gus

PS - you have pm

8. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was %100 settled on the nu-vista going by the cracking reviews it got from owners, journal etc and by what mf say about it themselves. What put doubt in my mind was the review the 308 got in the latest hi-fi news (the only journal i trust).
    I suppose from what people say the difference between the two is so slight that im probably not going to notice much if any difference anyway.
    I guess its gonna come down to which one has the nicest looking front and best remote.
    I've always wondered though why MF make probably the worst cheapest and most nasty remotes ive seen for any piece of equipment anywhere. It suprises me that stuff of this quailty has such a poor remote and is bettered by cd players costing only £100!!
    :rolleyes:

PS- i've answered the PM

9. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You would be hard pushed to tell them apart I think.

Yeah the remote really sucks, Arcam's aren't great but the MF is a piece of ****. Wonder why they don't offer an upmarket one at extra cost?

When I get round to it I will set up my Pocket PC to do the necessary, just need to find time to sort out the software, CF IRDA card etc.

Answered your pm.

I like HFN as well, but always take any review with a pinch of salt, it all depends on room, mood, ancilliary gear, type of music etc. The Nu-Vista is certainly well liked.

I always remember saving up to buy a Linn Sondek and Audiolab amp in the early 80's and walking out with totally different stuff cos I didn't like the Linn sound at all and didn't think much of the Audiolab with my speakers at the time.

Cheers

Gus

10. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My other half is like that. she tells me shes going out food shopping and comes back with something totally different like 20 pairs of shoes, new tops, going out cloths (which never get worn) and cosmetices:confused:

Anyways ive responed to your pm:)

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Yeah it's a nightmare when men go out shoping isan't it :devil:

Steph

12. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

13. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for the record, what prompted you to upgrade from your Meridian 507?

14. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

15. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Have heard them both extensively, but unfortunately one after the other (stock based) and never side by side, LOVE(d) them both, if i had to choose on the spot so to speak i would, mostly likely take the Nu-Vista.

Steve.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I would take the valve based one as well, much better IMHO but I am a valve nut :)

17. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK now to make myslef look noobie again. I cant grasp the idea of still using valves. As far as i knew valves were used in old TV's etc. Isn't using valves sort of a step backwards in technology? or am i missing something here?

18. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The nu-Vista is the one i chose in the end:) Im picking it up tomorrow:)

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Your missing something! That big glass thing on the front of your TV set is also a valve (even if it is driven by SS nowdays), come to that Plasmas are also thermionic devices. The VERY latest solid state is now only approaching the technical level valves were at 50 years ago. Okay they are big and bulky, need all sorts on different voltages but just think of them as 'quality' rather than 'easy to do'. Okay they will never compete with Pentium4s but they are still the leading technology in many areas albeit at a price nowdays.

20. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was really happy with the meridian even though a little flat in the base department and it was auditioned against many other cd players and was miles ahead imo. I never audition it against the mf because of the price.
    Well outta curiosity one day i just decided to demo the meridian against the 308 and within a minute i relised how amazing the MF cd player was and decided then i had to upgrade.
    It's a piece of equipment that just has to be auitioned even if its outta people price range just to hear it spinning those cd's it really is that good:)