What's the best way to wire up a BK XLS200?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by philipdavies, Feb 11, 2009.

1. philipdavies

philipdavies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never owned a sub before, but based on comments from this forum I've jumped in and ordered a BK XLS200.

I've had a look at the manual on line and find it all a bit confusing for a newbie like me. It seems there are three inputs - one dedicated plug (Neutrik Speakon Interconnect) with three wires that can be attached to the normal front speaker outputs, then there is a mono LFE/Sub out that is supposed to be connected to the R input on the Sub, or thirdly there is a stereo cable connection that goes to both the L and R inputs of the sub. Its not at all clear which is the best one to use.

I have an Onkyo 606 amp with a sub output. Should I just use this or use the Neutrik Speakon Interconnect high level output. Or should I wire up both? Which is the best way?
    thanks Philip

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Simplest way is to use the sub out on the 606 and let that control the crossover :smashin:

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    To clarify; the mono sub out to R in on the sub :smashin:

4. philipdavies

philipdavies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Badger - but my lack of experience in this area means that I don't know what that means exactly. Does it mean that if I wire up the subwoofer output of the 606 to the R input channel of the sub then it will automatically look after the crossover frequency? I know you can set a cross over frequency on the 606 and on the sub and I expect you should set these to the same frequency - but not sure which at the moment. 80hz has been suggested somewhere but I was planning to try out a range of different values to see which sounds best but any advice would be helpful.
    Philip

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    In the setup, you set the speakers to small, the crossover to 80hz and turn the crossover on the sub full up.

or, just set the gain about halfway, leave the crossover full up and just run the auto setup.

Whatever, the crossover on the sub stays full up.
    But yes, play around to find out which settings on the amp you prefer :smashin:

6. philipdavies

philipdavies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, I understand that. Very helpful. but what is happening when you turn the cross over full up - does that mean that the sub is accepting all frequencies that come from the amp, low and high, but the amp is only sending frequencies lower than 80Hz? If so why not just set the sub to 80Hz to match the amp as it is not going to receive anything higher than that? Or have I misunderstood?
    Philip

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    That very well may work for you :smashin:

But you're basically massively increasing the filtering.

If you turn the sub's x-over full up, it will accept everything below what you set the amp too and filter off everything above.

The point is, it's the easiest way to do it while you learn your kit :smashin:

By all means play around when you're familar :smashin: