1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way to get rid of an Amstrad Sky+ box ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Chorlton Dragon, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Chorlton Dragon

Chorlton Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a joke - but the picture quality on the Amstrad Sky+ box which was installed yesterday is (vertical banding, generally poor picture). As I understand it complaining to Sky customer services may or may not result in an engineer visit who may or may not have a Pace box with which to replace the Amstrad.

As I have just purchased the Sky+ box, I understand that I have 8 days (now 7) in which to cancel the purchase. I am considering cancelling, re-signing for a (free) non-Sky+ digibox, buying a new Pace V2 from simplydigital.co.uk and hooking it up myself.

I'm not convinced that this will be as easy as it sounds, especially considering the inconsistent nature of Sky customer service agents. Does anyone have any better ideas ?

Thanks,
    CTD

2. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my post in the "Just had my Amstrad changed to a Pace and Wow what a difference." thread, I just had mine changed over, you just have to keep ringing until you get someone who cares!

3. sniffer

sniffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have been fortunate with my swapouts.
    I had sky + amstrad installed 23/12 & immediately upgraded the hdd.
    On 5 occasions the box went into standby. The only way to get it working was to pull the plug. Last week after the last incident I rang customer services who said that they would swap it out. I specifically requested a Pace box as I told her that i'd heard nothing but bad reports of the amstrad box. She gave me the normal spiel that all boxes are the same. I told her that unfortunately she was wrong and many knowlegeable people on this forum & digital spy would agree with me. A slot was agreed for the engineer & she told me that a pace box would be supplied.
    The engineer arrived yesterday & swapped it out for a refurb pace box.
    The engineer knew all about the problems with amstrad. It appears that its only customer services that do not.
    I went back onto customer services & complained that I should not have a refurb box as my original box was only 5-6 weeks old. Another engineer is booked for tomorrow with a brand new Pace box.

Ring customer services & insist that they swap it for a pace. It worked for me.

Good Luck

4. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you remember to grab your hard drive out b4??

5. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    CTD

All I can say is good luck. See my posts in the thread highlighted by mikehibbert above. I dont think they have problems getting hold of Refurbished Pace boxes (I was brought one 6 days after install) but new ones seem to be a different matter. I am trying to cancel but am just out of the 8 day limit so will probably end up sourcing a Pace box myself as you are looking at doing just to get a decent picture.

Regards

Wackojacko32