1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best way to copy from hard drive on to DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tracey, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a couple of films on my hard drive (HS2) that I want to copy onto a DVD-RW, I probably won't keep the films forever which is why I'm using the re usable discs. Is there an easy way to remove the adverts. I must admit I just haven't had time to read the instuction manual properly yet and I forgot to bring it with me. I just want to record onto a disc then see if it plays on my DV27 when it's finalised and to see what the sound quality is like through my speakers. Can I just play the film and press record, then just stop it when it's finished, or is it more complicated than that?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    It's alot more complicated than that as the HS2 doesn't write to DVD-RW. IMHO the best thing to do is get a large spindle of dirt cheap DVD-Rs (go for cheap 50p each ones) and just use them for such things. I would post links of places to get such disks but they are on my home PC - if nobody else posts before then I will on Friday.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I can't record on to a rewritable disc? I thought I could just archive stuff on to rewritable discs then record over them when I want to change them. Can I record from the tv onto a DVD-RW using the HS2, or are you saying that I can't use rewritable discs at all?

4. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot write from the HS2 to RW at all I am afraid
    Regards

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aah silly me, I must read the instriciton manual. so the way to go is just to buy some cheap DVD-R discs then. so why is it that the Panasonic can't record onto RW can it not read them?

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    The only way is, if you have a RAM readable capable computer with a DVD - writer. Transfer from the HS2 to RAM and then copy the files onto the computer and make a DVD-RW using software like TMPGEnc DVD Author.

For what you want, it will be easier to use cheap -R's (especially, if don't have a DVD writer).

Can the HS2 read -RW's? My E50 can't. Although, some people claim to get TDK or Verbatim -RW discs to work.

7. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe (I could be wrong) that it is down to politics.
    DVD-RAM is the Panasonic rewritable format. The -RW is found
    on the Pioneer (and other) sets. Panasonic and Pioneer are great rivals in Japan, hence there use of the different rewritable formats. I believe the above to be correct, or at least one of the reasons.
    Although I stand to be corrected as it is a good question.

8. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a pc yet (using the one at work), so I think I'll get some cheap DVD-R discs. so are you saying that some -RW discs may work, or they definitely won't?

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Tha Panasonics will not record -RW as they have RAM for a RW medium.

Some people have claimed to get certain makes of -RW discs to read in the recorders. The instruction manual for the E50 states that they won't work. I don't have a -RW to try out.

Just get the -R's. I use JVC ones which work well but they are 99p each.

10. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops - missed the bit about the DV27.

12. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about to say if possible it would be preferable to playback on the DV27 but if it doesn't work then I could cope with that. I admit I haven't even had a chance to read the instruction manual (I'm not normally this stupid), but it may get some Ram discs for re-recordable stuff if the hard drive gets too full. Incidentally my boyfriend who usually has no interest in all my electronic gadgets has decided that the hard drive is a great place to record all the NFL games off Channel 5, that last for about 5 hours, hence the need for some more recording space!!!

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Its wise to get some RAM.

Depending on the quality you record at, there will be anywhere between 8 hours at highest quality using XP and 50 hours at EP available on the hard disc. The manual will have the precise times.

It will get full up quite quickly if you record at SP or XP quality.

I don't recommend using EP and stick to a lowest quality of LP, This will give something like 32 hours on the hard disc.

A RAM disc can hold 1 hour at XP, 2 hours at SP, 4 hours at LP and 6 hours at EP.

I don't have the luxury of the hard disc. I fill up RAM discs very quickly and so have seven on the go at the moment.