Whats the best way to connect DVD Player to TV and AMP?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Goatee, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Goatee

Goatee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there :)

I am about to buy my first DVD player - The Toshiba SD220E or the Toshiba SD220EMR. Is it worth getting the multi region one?

Anyway, the connections for the DVD player are as follows:

[​IMG]

And the back of my TOSH TV has 2 scart sockets, S-Video and the usual left, right and video channels.

Is it best to connect the DVD player to the TV with a something like a QED scart lead or S-Video?

Finally, whats the best way to connect this to my NAD stereo amp? Do I run a pair of interconnects from the TV's left and right channel or from the DVD player?

Many thanks for your help :)

2. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you have component (3 75ohm phonos) use them to connect to tv, otherwise a 'cheap-ish' fantastic quality scart to use is the Thor Scart lead, about £25 I think..

www.grandata.co.uk has them, so does maplin.

3. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Connect from the dvd player to your amp as it is cutting out going through something it doesn't need to.
    Agree with the Philex Thor scart can't go wrong with it.

4. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Also go for the Multi-Region, gives you more scope for purchasing dvd's and special editions that might not come out on region 2's.

5. Goatee

Goatee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Moderator : link to image removed, please see http://www.avforums.com/forum_guidelines.shtml item 9. Thanks, fraggle]

Thanks for your help :)

So the best thing to do is buy one of these:

<deleted>

and a pair of these to run from the DVD player to the Amp:

<deleted>

Is that right?

Oh, and do you think it is worth spending an extra £30 to get the Multi Region Tosh?

Thanks again, much apprecio :)

6. Goatee

Goatee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops, didn't see your last post, TheBorg.

MR it is :smashin:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Could not agree more its well worth it. Make sure you buy from a reputable supplier that warranty the mod.
    Some good quality phono leads Direct to the AMp will be the best bet unless you have Digital inputs then it might be worth trying the digital connection. What else is connected to your TV as you will need to use your RGB Scart and if you have Sky or a consaole it may already be in use! If the Tosh 220 does Component RGB or Componet. out and your TV accepts this (**NOTE:NOT RED,WHITE,YELLOW**) RED, GREEN, BLUE normally, or Yp, Yb, PR, this is the way to go.
    Have fun!!!!
    :lesson:

8. Goatee

Goatee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Moderator : link to image removed, please see http://www.avforums.com/forum_guidelines.shtml item 9. Thanks, fraggle]

Hi there, hornydragon.

I was going to get the Multi Region DVD Player from Empire Direct for £140. Sound good?

I have 2 free Scart sockets on my TV as nothing else is connected apart from my Amp. My TV only has the red, white and yellow, so I guess the Scart is the way to go.

I was also just thinking about how my TV will connect to my Amp for when I am watching normal TV. I assume that the DVD player phono leads will connect to 'VIDEO' and the TV phono leads will connect to 'AUX'. Right? Am I also right in thinking that its ok to have these connected at the same time?

As an alternative to the Philex Thor Scart, is the QEDa good option? :

<deleted>

Thanks again for helping a newb :)

9. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Goatee

I picked up a multi region Toshiba 220e from RicherSounds last week for £120 (the region 2 is £100). Thats £20 cheaper than your Empire Direct price.

If there isn't one local to you try www.richersounds.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Regards

Richard

edit - are you sure the TV's red and white phono sockets can output sound? They're input only on my TV. Just a thought.

10. Goatee

Goatee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woohooo, thats great Richard, thank you :)

Yep, there is a Richer Sounds in Middlesbrough, which isn't far.

Did you get the Silver? Does it look good in real life?

Yeah, the red and white phonos can output and there are input ones too. I have a pair of interconnects running from the red and white phono sockets to my stereo amp.

Thanks again. Might just take a trip to Richer Sounds this weekend :D

11. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Goatee

Glad to be of help. Just make sure you phone first. RicherSounds in MK were out of stock. I reserved one from their next delivery and went straight to pick it up. They later told me the whole shipment was sold that day.

I did get the silver version (although they didn't have any black versions to choose from). It does look quite nice - a lot smarter than my Pioneer 535 (but not as nice as my arcam:) )

On your scart question, I think the QED Squart is probably regarded as the better cable but the Thor cable is a fair bit cheaper and seems to be well regarded. As with many of these things the improvements you'll see are all a matter of degree. The question is how much are you happy to spend?

Best of luck.

Richard

12. Goatee

Goatee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again

Sound advice, thank you :)

Actually I remember the slight difficulty in getting my NAD Amp a few years back after it had won What HiFi best buy. So yes, I will give them a ring first :)

I'm sure I have seen the QED scart for the same price as the Thor, but it was only 0.5 m. Maybe a tad too short.

Can't wait now. Its going to be a hell of lot better than connecting my PC to my TV to watch DVD's.

Cheers :D

13. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Goatee, where about in Teeside are you? The middlesboro branch is my closet branch too :) Although you could go to the maplin (in m'boro) and get a thor scart lead from there for about £30, which is ok.

14. Goatee

Goatee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cheng :)

I live in Guisborough, which I'm sure you will know. Where are you?

Maplin is fast becoming one of my favourite local shops. It wasn't until recently that I discovered that they sold PC Modding gear :) And now I can get some AV gear too :smashin:

Thanks for the info :)

15. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm living in the 'good' part of stockton atm (is there such a place!:D ), which is pretty close to the M'boro RS :) The ginger haired manager of RS (phil) will probably try and flog you something dodgy, so I'd go to maplin, or grandata.co.uk for cheapest :)