1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best way to connect an xbox to a plasma?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by RHCP, Aug 25, 2005.

1. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm thinking its component :rolleyes: but not sure!

Any suggetions :)

2. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Component is definitely the best connection you can get between your Xbox and plasma, more so if you flip your Xbox into NTSC mode and enable the HD modes 480p, 720p and 1080i. Very few games support the higher modes but even having 480p is a bonus. The High Definition AV Pack is required for an HD component connection (although it might be possible to use other component leads - not too sure).

The only caveat concerning the NTSC modes is that you will have to run a program called the Enigmah Video Switcher which requires you to either fit a modchip or take advantage of the Splinter Cell/Agent Under Fire/Mechassault memory card exploits. If you need to go down that route, try looking in these threads:

idiots guide to Xbox Hi Def (please)
    Forums SoftMod Kit

Plenty of us here use the Splinter Cell etc exploit and since you're not changing your dashboard, hard drive, chipping the box, etc you are safe for Live use!

Cheers,

Colin

3. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for your quick reply!

Nice one for all your time and info :thumbsup:

Now all i need is a plasma, a new av amp a, component freeview box... the list is endless :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

4. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hmmmm!

Not going hi-def yet!

Where can i buy an xbox component cable from?

5. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Problem with the official MS component lead is that, since MS didn't enable the HDTV resolutions and progressive scan mode for the PAL territories, you can't buy the official lead in the UK and have to import it. Mail order sites in the UK might carry it but a safe bet is to get it from Lik-Sang in Hong Kong for about $30 plus shipping. Alternatively, MX2 sell it in the UK for £24.99. The official MS kit includes a breakout box which actually lets you hook up your own component leads without having to use the supplied leads and features an optical connector too for Dolby Digital.

If you only need component video and not HD resolutions/prog scan or a digital audio output there are cheaper leads available in the UK. Game sell one for example for about £10-15 I'm sure and you can pick one up on eBay for less than £10! Actually I've just found this one on eBay with digital optical out and it costs £7 delivered!

I'm not sure how good the picture is on the non-official cheaper leads but hopefully others on the forum have tried them out and give you some pointers.

Hope this helps!

Colin

6. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can I ask if my Xbox is outputting HD to my plasma or do I need the HD Box? I've a Ixos component cable connected and I've changed the output in my dashboard to 480p/720p/1080p. The games look very clean and crisp and 3D like.

So is this Hi-Def? If so why the need for these boxes, why not just a component cable?

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    HD Box?

If you have component connectors and you have got the hi-def options in the dahboard then you are definately using the hi-def kit, you should be able to press info button on your plasma and it will tell you what it is outputting, if it doesn't say anything then it is probably PAL.

Another way to tell is on the dashboard, if you press both thumbsticks down then it will change bteween 576i and 480p.

8. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for that Mal, yes I checked and it's definately HD, Crash Kart Racing, Tony Hawks 2 looks brill in 720p.

So why these HD Boxes? Why are there not more leads like mine on the market? Can't understand the need for them.

9. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I haven't heard of Hd boxes, all I have is the HD kit from lik sang, which just enables you to connect your xbox to component and enable hi-def with the splinter cell save.

Fifa 06 does look much sharper in 720p, that's the only game I have in 720p.
    7 weeks 6 days to xbox 360. PGR3 in 720, yes please.... :smashin: