1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way to archive video

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by melliott1963, Sep 15, 2003.

1. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Here's a simple question with, I suspect, not quite so simple an answer.

I've taken my video, copied it onto my computer and created a DVD. However, in case my 'daily use' DVD copy gets scratched and damaged in years to come, I also need to save a copy of the edited video so that a new copy can be easily created.

Do I created a second DVD and store it in a safe place, or do I save the video back onto video tape?

In other words, which has the greater storage life, given that I use the correct storage methods, tapes or DVD's?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    There has been a lot of discussion on DVD-R rot recently. Basically they become unreadable after a time. Cheaper disk rot quicker. This makes recordable DVD's unsuitable for safe, long term archiving.
    I would suggest that if your camcorder can do it you copy your footage back to DV tape and store carefully. Or even get a spare Hard Disk and store it on that. Disks are now very cheap and safe.

Mark.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm paranoid so I'd burn image file or DVD folders to disc along with any cover artwork &/OR store these on external hard drive as well if they are that important.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I keep all master tapes